New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

velvetsan

velvetsan is on a distinguished road

Which one is better VMware Fusion or
Parallels Desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

If you insist on using virtual machines instead of Bootcamp, I would go with VMWare. I don't recommend virtual machines, however, and only if Bootcamp doesn't work. The productivity you lose on both the host and virtual machine is significant on anything but a beefed up Mac Pro. IMO

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
velvetsan

velvetsan is on a distinguished road

I didn't know about bootcamp, what is it?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Also, you may want to try the search at the top of the forum. This topic has been discussed in the past and you'll find valuable information.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetsan View Post
I didn't know about bootcamp, what is it?
First, how about telling us what it is that you want to do? Do you want to run Windows on your Mac? If so, what Windows programs would you be using?

And lastly, give us some info about your system: year, model, and which version of OS X you're using.
QUOTE Thanks
triptolemus

triptolemus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
The productivity you lose on both the host and virtual machine is significant on anything but a beefed up Mac Pro. IMO
That's a bit harsh and more than a little inaccurate. Have you ever really ran a vm other than just to "try it out"?

One has to take into consideration the tasks which are to be performed. Although i obviously wouldn't want to game in a vm environment, or run anything under vm which could run native under OS X, my mini with 8gb runs Windows 7 under VM Fusion almost seamlessly. My goal is to run quicken, a few server processes, and video surveillance stuff...all of which is far better suited to a vm environment over bootcamp.

VM software is certainly a viable answer for many circumstances. They wouldn't be selling VM Fusion at $70 a copy if it wasn't!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I run them on an extensive and daily basis, on $60k servers built for them. before we got the budget for those, we ran them on high-end workstation class machines (equiv to Mac Pro). The performance hit is very noticeable on anything less. Sorry, true.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
If you insist on using virtual machines instead of Bootcamp, I would go with VMWare. I don't recommend virtual machines, however, and only if Bootcamp doesn't work. The productivity you lose on both the host and virtual machine is significant on anything but a beefed up Mac Pro. IMO
I'd have to disagree with you there. Performance is fairly equitable. The only time you'll see any issues is if you're running something that requires intensive GPU acceleration.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
triptolemus

triptolemus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I run them on an extensive and daily basis, on $60k servers built for them. before we got the budget for those, we ran them on high-end workstation class machines (equiv to Mac Pro). The performance hit is very noticeable on anything less. Sorry, true.
Sorry, but no. You don't need a $60k server to run Quicken. You're missing the point.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
Sorry, but no. You don't need a $60k server to run Quicken. You're missing the point.
I too find that claim a bit zealous. Yes, there is a layer of abstraction when running a virtual machine, but we're not doing emulation or anything particularly taxing that would drag performance down to less than "productive" levels under normal circumstances. Given adequate RAM allocation and proper configuration, a virtual machine will perform roughly akin to a comparably equipped physical machine under VMWare Fusion (I haven't tested Parallels since version 3, but reviews I've read seem to rank it very well relative to Fusion).

You won't want to game on it, but productivity apps, MS Office, and even heavy hitters like the Adobe suite are not going to leave you longing for better performance. Again, this is given appropriate configuration.

My company too runs virtualized servers on high-end hardware. In most cases, they are Citrix servers that host apps and oftentimes multi-user (30+) "full desktop" environments. We didn't always do that, but in light of industry trends and the scalability offered by products like VMWare's, it's entirely feasible and again, performance is roughly equitable to comparable physical hardware.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
No it's not. I run a 2.1 C2D with 4GB of RAM and can easily run a Windows or Linux VM with little lag.

What kind of VMs are you running and perhaps more importantly, how many? Surely your requirements are much greater than those of most virtual machine users.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

For the OP: If you are going to use a VM, for a single-user installation, please consider using Sun's VirtualBox. It's free and works fine for just about any purpose. Fusion and Parallels are great too, and have slightly better graphics performance and some tweaking features but I stopped using them awhile back and just went with VirtualBox. Simple, free, efficient, works.

For the rest of this thread, we also run virtual machines in a networked, global secure server environment to do in-house software development. Mostly using VMWare on a windows platform. When running VM's in a distributed environment for development purposes off a windows platform you're going to see a few performance hits but the tradeoff for scalability and the ability to use what VM's provide is an easy call to make.

However, that's a completely different situation from a single-user, single installation of a virtual machine to run Windows on somebody's Mac. The complete consensus here among forum members (based on likely hundreds of such installations), many of whom are IT professionals, is that in such an environment, VM performance for productivity applications, internet surfing, email and simple video and photo tasks is almost indistinguishable from Boot Camp installation provided you allocate enough RAM to the VM. Only for applications that involve substantial video work or heavy gaming do people feel that BC is demonstrably superior.

I have run Win XP, Win 7 and Linux on 1 GB of RAM on a MacBook Air with only 2 GB total and they all run fine for the tasks described above.

Ultimately, it's up to the user but to say that VMs are not worth doing based on an enterprise experience simply doesn't translate to the single user context that's the basis of this forum. Are there limitations to VMs? Sure. Do they matter for most single-user installations? No.

End of rant.

Cheers and I hope the OP gets what he/she needed...
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
This is one of the craziest things I have ever heard. I actually work with VM's every single day. On my Mac as well as the Cisco UCS platforms. I am also a VMware Certified Professional (VCP). Ignore this...
QUOTE Thanks
msharp

msharp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD, OSX10.9

So then how does Virtual Box (free) stack up against Fusion or Parallels ($$)?

Is it as easy to set up and use?
Is it's performance equivalent?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm not sure if it's "performance equivalent" as I've never used Fusion/Parallels but it will more than likely meet your needs. What do you need a VM for?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 7 on Blackbook Driver issues | Running engineering software on a new MBP »