New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

.DS_Store

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Hey there,

I've had this issue ever since my first MacBook Pro back in 2008. I actually installed Windows through Boot Camp the first day I got it because I've been a Windows user for over ten years and it wasn't easy getting used to the Macintosh at first. Anyway, back to the point.

Ever since then, every time I access my BOOTCAMP partition when I am on Macintosh, it leaves a .DS_Store file in every folder/location I access. So when I switch to Windows, I have to delete all those annoying .DS_Store files.

I Googled a lot but never came up with anything useful, except that maybe that must happen and cannot be fixed, but I thought I should ask you guys since you are pretty much more experienced than me and can tell me what that file is and, if possible, how I can stop that from happening.

Thank you.

Tarek
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

This pretty much explains all you need to know:

.DS_Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

This[1] is how you set it up for the Mac not to create .DS_STORE file on networked drives. And this[2] is how you'd have to do it on your local directories.

[1] - Mac OS X v10.4 and later: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections
[2] - DS_Store, ._AppleDouble, .Folders. Keep it clean. | zeroonetwenty

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
This pretty much explains all you need to know:

.DS_Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've read that before. Thanks, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
This[1] is how you set it up for the Mac not to create .DS_STORE file on networked drives. And this[2] is how you'd have to do it on your local directories.

[1] - Mac OS X v10.4 and later: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections
[2] - DS_Store, ._AppleDouble, .Folders. Keep it clean. | zeroonetwenty

Regards
Great.. I ran the Terminal command and restarted my computer.
To your second point, I am not really looking for something paid-for as I already bought CleanMyMac a month and a half ago and it's working like a charm so far. I run it twice or three times a week since I use my computer a lot.. it really helps maintain it. Is it similar to Blueharvest? Because whenever I plug an external drive in, for instance, it pops-up saying "Clean" all the Mac rubbish from that drive, and I confirm. I am guessing that's exactly what Blueharvest does?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I don't know what CleanMyMac does..but if after running the "Clean" you don't see the .DS_STORE files on the USB drive, I guess so. Blueharvest seems to do it automatically for you..but if you're happy with your current solution, that's great..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Yes, that's exactly what happens after it "cleans" the usb drive I insert. The problem, however, is that I can't find an option that would let me clean the BOOTCAMP partition, but it only cleans the Macintosh HD of all the Mac/Windows junk, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

I imagine that none of the applications will touch the Bootcamp partition, they'll only deal with locally mounted systems..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where to obtain network driver besides Leopard disk? | external DVD drive with bootcamp »