New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Graphics card driver upgrade problem with Windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fizzleskink

Fizzleskink is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I'm running Windows XP SP3 through Bootcamp on a iMac Intel Dual Core 3.06Ghz with an NVidia GeForce 8800GS graphics card. The Bootcamp is fine and has been running seamlessly for nearly 2 years. I've upgraded the drivers on the graphics card at least twice in that time with no problem, downloading the latest ones from the NVidia sight and installing over the existing one. I've come to up date the driver again and have got a message on the installation window "unable to find hardware to match the driver" or words to that effect. I've tried uninstalling the drivers I've got and letting Windows recognise the graphics card again and load the default drivers, which works ok (196.10) but I still get the same error when I try to load the latest ones(275.45). The graphics card is showing in the device manager which says it's working ok. I've also tried about three other drivers, newer than the default ones, all with the same message. Anyone any ideas what's happening and how to get around it.
Regards,
Fizz
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzleskink View Post
Hi all,
I'm running Windows XP SP3 through Bootcamp on a iMac Intel Dual Core 3.06Ghz with an NVidia GeForce 8800GS graphics card. The Bootcamp is fine and has been running seamlessly for nearly 2 years. I've upgraded the drivers on the graphics card at least twice in that time with no problem, downloading the latest ones from the NVidia sight and installing over the existing one. I've come to up date the driver again and have got a message on the installation window "unable to find hardware to match the driver" or words to that effect. I've tried uninstalling the drivers I've got and letting Windows recognise the graphics card again and load the default drivers, which works ok (196.10) but I still get the same error when I try to load the latest ones(275.45). The graphics card is showing in the device manager which says it's working ok. I've also tried about three other drivers, newer than the default ones, all with the same message. Anyone any ideas what's happening and how to get around it.
Regards,
Fizz
I've had problems installing nVidia's drivers in the past when I already installed Apple's Boot Camp drivers. It appears that Apple is blocking the installation of 3rd party hardware drivers. The only way I was ever able to use nVidia's drivers was to install Windows but NOT use Apple's BC drivers. This does pose problems because getting proper hardware drivers for all your components otherwise may not even be possible. It also may not even be a good idea to bypass Apple's route, at least not in iMacs. These components are working in very tight quarters and their drivers may be best optimized to account for the operating environment they are in.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Here's a discussion thread on Apple's forums with some solutions others have worked out:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...readID=2507994

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printing on VM | Running another version of OS X »