New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Is it possible to install Linux on Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

T909

T909 can only hope to improve

I mean like that how you install windows on boot camp. Is it possible (please don't use virtual machine or something like that)to install Linux like that I could choose which one I want to use Mac or Linux like it's with Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I won't ask why, and just give you the answer you want.... yes.

here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djc4q...eature=related
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Should run Linux fine. I'd use a virtual environment personally - like VirtualBox, which is a free virtualization app from Oracle. But we had a customer who's company, instead of assigning computers to employees, allowed the employee to use their personal computers, and mailed quarterly software updates out on a bootable Linux DVD. The user could boot to the DVD, do their work, which was all network based, and reboot back to their computer when finished.
QUOTE Thanks
milomak

milomak is on a distinguished road

running linux on my mbp - MacBookPro - Debian Wiki
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

You can always try it this way Run Linux on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac from a Web Browser
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

The Mac interface is built upon BSD. If you want to bootcamp another distribution, you would install it the same way you install another OS.
But if you want to nix commands, just open terminal and fire away.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

I agree with the above posters - it will run fine, either in a virtual machine or bootcamp, but don't remove OSX or toss your OSX discs. That will preserve the value of your Mac when the time comes for you to sell it and buy a new machine.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Browser rage | bootcamp driver problems »