New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Macbook Pro (2006) Windows 7 (Seven)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lankyjim

lankyjim is on a distinguished road

I have tried installing Windows 7 on my 2.33GHz Macbook Pro; bootcamp has created a disk for Windows (50Gb) and installed Windows to the disk...(the files are visible when the disk is opened in OS X). When restarting I can choose the OS however Windows fails to boot, it reaches a black screen with a underscore flashing in the upper left of the screen.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

P.S. - I upgraded the bootcamp assistant and files before starting.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Are you running Leopard or Snow Leopard? There is no official support for Win 7 in Leopard. It requires 10.6, although I was able to install the Win7 beta in 10.5.

What Win 7 disc are you using? Is it 32 or 64 bit? Try 32 bit if you're not.
Per Apple, there is no support for Win 7 on our machines either, but I'm running the Ultimate 32 bit version just fine.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lankyjim

Mac OS X 10.6.7
Macbook Pro (2006) 2.33 GHz IC2D
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
50 GB available for MS Windows 7
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What Win 7 disc are you using? Is it 32 or 64 bit?

QUOTE Thanks
lankyjim

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit OEM
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If it's a pirated copy or a Dell, HP, etc copy, probably will not work.

If it's a system builder's copy, you might try a repair - that is usually a boot sector problem - try this.

QUOTE Thanks
lankyjim

Thanks, it's a builders copy...and it should be official it certainly has Certificate of Authenticity.
QUOTE Thanks
lankyjim

Thanks - tried that...nearly there I hope...new message:

BOOTMGR 'missing'
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I'm hesitant to try a few things as I have have yet to have any BootCamp issues and don't know what types of repairs the Win 7 disc might attempt that would damage the boot sector and keep you from booting into OS X.

If it were my machine, I'd probably try a PRAM reset and if still a no go, I'd be headed back into BootCamp Assistant, blowing the partition away and starting over again. Should take less than an hour for that - or hang out until some one more experienced with Win and Bootcamp issues comes along.

QUOTE Thanks
lankyjim

Thank you. That was what I originally tried, will look into the others.
QUOTE Thanks
lankyjim

No change after PRAM reset.

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd - "Total Identified Windows Installations: 0"

Suspect will need to try repeating the installation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to automatically go to Start Up Disk selection? | Help..can install mac os on my laptop?? »