New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Win7 on imac - Windows bootcamp is disrupting installation!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mckrogh

mckrogh is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys

Im really screwed. Hope some of you can help me out.

Ive been trying to install win7 on my new imac.

Thing i do is;

Open bootcamp ***.
Make partition
Insert win7 cd (OEM version) and click inst.

Now when it reboots it dosnt start the installation but ask me if would:

1. Windows setup (ems enabled)
2. Windows memory dianogstic
See link for screenshot: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If i click the first installation starts. But after first restart it makes the same screen again. And installation starts over?

What can I do???

Please help me someone!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like Windows Setup is actually crashing.

Can you tell us a bit more about that OEM disc? Is it from a vendor like Dell, HP, etc?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

Its puchase here:

Windows 7 Home Premium-64 bit Dansk-DVD

Its this one....
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good one to me.

Is this a brand new iMac by chance? And if so, did you download the update that came out just the other day from Apple Software Update?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

Yeah its the brand new imac.

Yeah did use the apple software update first... But wasnt paying attention that i should run it more than one time.

So the first time it didnt work. Then i did do the partition back to osx only. Update software and tried again.

And now this happens?

Would it help to format osx, install again and try again?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Make sure you run Software Update again, after the first update. Because once the software update is installed, then a second firmware update comes down. And this update is supposed to ease install issues with Boot Camp specifically.

So, my advice is to run Software Update repeatedly until it tells you that there are no new updates to install.

QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

Okay i have done that. And did that when trying to install win7 for the second time. It still make this problem..

Would it help to try format harddrive and start on a fresh one or?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Doubtful. The reason is that when you're booting from the disc, your computer is not running an operating system at all (it's not even using the HDD), so whatever software is there already, is completely irrelevant.

This is crashing at a very low level, which leads me to believe there's either a firmware issue (unlikely at this point) or a problem with the disc.

QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

So you think its my win7 disc? Should i go get a new one? OR can i try install an old xp version se if that helps?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckrogh View Post
So you think its my win7 disc? Should i go get a new one? OR can i try install an old xp version se if that helps?
It's really hard to say. I don't believe Boot Camp supports XP on the newest Macs.

Is there any reason you're doing Boot Camp instead of in a virtual machine? If you're not gaming in Windows, installing it in a virtual machine makes things MUCH less complicated.

QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

So this can be anything... frustrating... Any ideas how i can get this fixed?

Naaah im going to multitable lots of poker..dont know how well that will be running in a virtuel machine?

But wouldnt installation be same prob in a virtual machine?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
So this can be anything... frustrating... Any ideas how i can get this fixed?
You may want to try Apple's support forums (unless someone else with specific knowledge of this issue jumps in here).

Quote:
Naaah im going to multitable lots of poker..dont know how well that will be running in a virtuel machine?
That will be no problem. The only issues you'd have in a virtual machine are going to be with games that require heavy 3D acceleration.

Quote:
But wouldnt installation be same prob in a virtual machine?
No, because the virtual hardware is a completely different platform.

QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

Okay, thank u. I might try it out (if i cant get bootcamp to work, which i really want)

Which virtual machine would you prefer?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Okay, thank u. I might try it out (if i cant get bootcamp to work, which i really want)

Which virtual machine would you prefer?
Well, Virtualbox is free (if you just want to verify that your disc is good, this might be a good option).

But I highly recommend VMWare Fusion, which is far more polished.

QUOTE Thanks
mckrogh

Not parallels?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How Do I Back Up Bootcamp? | TV output disabled with latest nvidia 9400m drivers? »