New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Any annoyances using boot camp 3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

quetzal_7

quetzal_7 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm about to splurge on a new macbook for my wife, but we're going to be running windows 7 on it almost exclusively. Win 7 on my 2007 MBP runs fine, but the fan support just isn't there. Are there any annoyances with the current gen stuff I should be aware of before going this route?

Thanks!
-Q7
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I'm about to splurge on a new macbook for my wife, but we're going to be running windows 7 on it almost exclusively. Win 7 on my 2007 MBP runs fine, but the fan support just isn't there. Are there any annoyances with the current gen stuff I should be aware of before going this route?
If she intends to primarily use Windows 7, I suggest instead of buying a new MacBook that you purchase a PC notebook for her. For the same price that a MacBook will cost you, you can buy a nicely equipped PC notebook and run Windows 7 64 bit.

I run both Windows 7 and XP on my MacBook but only for those programs that I can not duplicate in OS X. I use both Boot Camp (Win 7) and Fusion (XP) but the majority of my computing is from OS X.

You've probably heard of SMCFanControl for OS X.... they currently have a version for Windows they're testing. (It's in beta.) You might want to experiment with it - but take note that it's a beta.
QUOTE Thanks
quetzal_7

quetzal_7 is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm mostly just tired of crappy laptops that fail every 6 months. Over the life of my MBP from 2007 (which still works great) she has been through 2 pc laptops (possibly both HP's). I've had to replace 2 hdds, an optical drive, about battery 6 chargers, 2 batteries, and an OS (vista was just awful). I'm willing to pay double if it means I never have to touch the thing after I install boot camp. The price winds up equalizing itself in the long run. Being able to use a unix prompt and the Apple hardware test is nice too.

I have SMC FC on my mbp, but I didn't know they had a beta out for windows. So thanks!
-Q7
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I hear you. PC notebook computers are not built as well nor near as nice as anything from Apple. I just wanted to point out to you that since she will primarily be running Windows 7, it might be best to invest in a PC notebook instead.

I was looking at some top of the line Sony Vaio machines this morning on their site. They have a special going on right now for Mother's Day. To get anything from Sony that's close to a MBP, it going to cost close to $1000.00 or more. I'm not crazy about Sony products but they do hold up better than HP. Of course that might not be saying much....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shortcuts and Excel on Mac using Bootcamp | How Do I Back Up Bootcamp? »