Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/)
-   -   Any annoyances using boot camp 3? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/running-windows-anything-else-your-mac/237474-any-annoyances-using-boot-camp-3-a.html)

quetzal_7 05-05-2011 11:32 AM

Any annoyances using boot camp 3?

Hi all,

I'm about to splurge on a new macbook for my wife, but we're going to be running windows 7 on it almost exclusively. Win 7 on my 2007 MBP runs fine, but the fan support just isn't there. Are there any annoyances with the current gen stuff I should be aware of before going this route?

Thanks!
-Q7

chscag 05-05-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

I'm about to splurge on a new macbook for my wife, but we're going to be running windows 7 on it almost exclusively. Win 7 on my 2007 MBP runs fine, but the fan support just isn't there. Are there any annoyances with the current gen stuff I should be aware of before going this route?
If she intends to primarily use Windows 7, I suggest instead of buying a new MacBook that you purchase a PC notebook for her. For the same price that a MacBook will cost you, you can buy a nicely equipped PC notebook and run Windows 7 64 bit.

I run both Windows 7 and XP on my MacBook but only for those programs that I can not duplicate in OS X. I use both Boot Camp (Win 7) and Fusion (XP) but the majority of my computing is from OS X.

You've probably heard of SMCFanControl for OS X.... they currently have a version for Windows they're testing. (It's in beta.) You might want to experiment with it - but take note that it's a beta.

quetzal_7 05-05-2011 03:55 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm mostly just tired of crappy laptops that fail every 6 months. Over the life of my MBP from 2007 (which still works great) she has been through 2 pc laptops (possibly both HP's). I've had to replace 2 hdds, an optical drive, about battery 6 chargers, 2 batteries, and an OS (vista was just awful). I'm willing to pay double if it means I never have to touch the thing after I install boot camp. The price winds up equalizing itself in the long run. Being able to use a unix prompt and the Apple hardware test is nice too.

I have SMC FC on my mbp, but I didn't know they had a beta out for windows. So thanks!
-Q7

chscag 05-05-2011 05:44 PM

I hear you. PC notebook computers are not built as well nor near as nice as anything from Apple. I just wanted to point out to you that since she will primarily be running Windows 7, it might be best to invest in a PC notebook instead.

I was looking at some top of the line Sony Vaio machines this morning on their site. They have a special going on right now for Mother's Day. To get anything from Sony that's close to a MBP, it going to cost close to $1000.00 or more. I'm not crazy about Sony products but they do hold up better than HP. Of course that might not be saying much.... :)