New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Can't save windows 7 to anywhere?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

calumaalawrie

calumaalawrie is on a distinguished road

I am a Mac novice and tried to download a genuine copy of Windows 7 to my Mac. I wasn't sure how much partition to give Windows so I had guessed. Once I got through all the prompts I had to choose a place to save Windows to. None of them allowed me to? Not sure where I'd gone wrong here and ever since my Mac won't shut down without switching it off from the back!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
I am a Mac novice and tried to download a genuine copy of Windows 7 to my Mac.
Do you mean you're trying to install Windows 7 via bootcamp?
Which version of Windows 7?
Which model of Mac do you have?
Which version of OSX?

Quote:
I wasn't sure how much partition to give Windows so I had guessed.
How much did you go for?
Was this done in the Bootcamp wizard?

Quote:
Once I got through all the prompts I had to choose a place to save Windows to. None of them allowed me to?
Is this after the reboot with the windows disc in and during the Windows 7 install?
If so you should have seen a BOOTCAMP drive. It needs formatting as per the bootcamp instructions:
Bootcamp Installation guide
What error did you get?

Quote:
Not sure where I'd gone wrong here and ever since my Mac won't shut down without switching it off from the back!
Is this when you're in OSX or is this during the windows install?
Are you still able to get into OSX ok?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
calumaalawrie

Do you mean you're trying to install Windows 7 via bootcamp?
Correct although not sure where bootcamp is again on my Mac?

Which version of Windows 7?
Professional

Which model of Mac do you have?
Latest iMac 21.5inch 4GB

Which version of OSX?

How much did you go for?
Can't recall, about a third?

Was this done in the Bootcamp wizard?
I preset this but didn't give me another chance to reset it when I tried again.

Is this after the reboot with the windows disc in and during the Windows 7 install?
After install don't think I got to the reboot stage

What error did you get?
I think it said there wasn't enough space, memory

Is this when you're in OSX or is this during the windows install?
When I'm in OSX

Are you still able to get into OSX ok?
Yes

Thanks for your response

Calum
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Grab the latest Boot Camp Guide http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...Setup_10.6.pdf
also note the Windows 7 FAQs
Boot Camp: Windows 7 installation frequently asked questions

Start the Boot Camp Setup Assistant in OSX and use it to delete the partition.

Restart the Boot Camp Setup Assistant and choose something around 20gb for the windows partition.

Follow the guide to the letter.

If you get any further error messages please make a note of them word-for-word and post them here.

Good luck

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
calumaalawrie

Thanks very much I'll give it a go.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do let us know what happens.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BootCamp on Win 7 - unfunctional drivers | Trying to install Virtual PC 6.0 to Powerbook G4 »