New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

OpenOffice v LibreOffice? MS Office alternatives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wyldes

wyldes is on a distinguished road

Rather than shell out to upgrade the pensionable MS Office suite on my Mac, I have OpenOffice 3.2. On this forum I've just come across mention of LibreOffice. Anyone have any comments/preferences on either? I find OpenOffice is generally OK but does have a few issues, eg it takes an AGE to open and does tend to lose some formatting when opening a Word file - eg, loses paragraph spaces. Also - I haven't tested this yet - do both these MS Office alternatives allow Windows MS Office users to open files without neeeding to have the programmes installed?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I've only used OO, but why don't you just download and try out LibreOffice and NeoOffice? Both free and similar. Take them for a test drive.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

LibreOffice is, as of right now, essentially the same as OpenOffice. LO is based off of OO just as NO is but it's still early in development so it's very similar to OO.

Oracle recently announced that they're ceasing commercial development of OO (source) which may or may not be a good thing. I do know that LibreOffice has managed to garner the support of some big companies including Canonical, Google, Novell and Red Hat so there seems to be a brighter future with LO.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
wyldes

Thankyou MymacRox and vansmith. I shall bear in mind what vansmith says about Oracle recently announcing they are ceasing commercial development of OpenOffice. Presume that means it will be superceded by other similar programmes and then fade quietly away? I'll have a look at LibreOffice in the meantime. One of my main concerns is that it must be a programme that PC users I occasionally work with - who use MS Office - can also open/send files that will be compatible if I'm using something like OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It is being superseded.

The next upgrade to Ubuntu Linux, out tomorrow, is for example, bundling Libre office instead of Open Office

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

It can read and write Word docs but won't do so by default so when you save. Follow the instructions here - you'll probably need to replace "Tools > Options" with "LibreOffice > Preferences" (I don't have it installed right now but I'm guessing, like all other Mac apps, this is how you'll get to the preferences).

It may not be perfect with Word formats - this is something you'll want to test beforehand (as you've already found out).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
wyldes

Thanks vansmith! The instructions link looks very useful. I'll download LibreOffice and see how it goes. Louishen's comment also indicates that OpenOffice is being quietly retired, so maybe LibreOffice is the way to go...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It's not so much retired - Oracle has just decided to stop providing support for it and turn over development to the community. It will still likely go on but it sure looks as if LibreOffice is going to supplant it as the premiere open source office suite.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I hadn't heard about LibreOffice until earlier this evening. Was complaining about download speeds for OpenOffice and my brother told me I should check out LibreOffice. It looks pretty good, and since it's more actively developed currently, I'm going with LibreOffice.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Utility to edit Windows Registry from Mac side? | macbook windows 7 »