New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Utility to edit Windows Registry from Mac side?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZeaTea

ZeaTea is on a distinguished road

Hey guys! I need to edit the windows registry from the mac side, does anyone know of a way/utility to do this?

edit: It's a windows partition I've installed using BootCamp.

Malware forked the booting process, so I need to get into the registry to clean some things up.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Don't believe it is possible from outside of Windows and most definitely not a Mac..

You might want to use your Windows CD and boot from it, ask it to repair your installation and it might hopefully fix up the registry..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

First, how far along in the boot process can you get?

If you cant get to the splash screen, you may need to boot with the Win CD and boot into the Safe Mode, clear the malware, then try running normally.

If you cant get to the Splash Screen, I can pretty much say editing the registry wont help you. Go ahead and try and get the date and start over.

Next time, pay attention to all boxes that pop up when surfing...

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
ZeaTea

ZeaTea is on a distinguished road

Tried booting from the Windows installation disc, using the recovery console, and replacing the registry files with the ones created upon OS installation. No dice, though!

Was forced to reformat and reinstall windows. Bit of a bummer, but I was able to save most of the important stuff before hand from the Mac side.

As a preventative measure, spybot was the first program I installed after drivers this time around.

Thanks for the responses, guys!
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

No one scanner will keep you protected. When I actually ran scanners on my Win7 box, I ran AVG Free, and only scanned with the portableapps.com version Spybot once a week or so, I did not have it running all the time. My Win7 Bootcamp only runs with Windows Defender (included w/ Win7).

Of course, I paid (and pay) attention to the sites I went to and any popups that came up.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you are running Spybot's Teatimer, that'll at least getting it asking you when anything wants to make a change to the registry.

That's the first thing I set up on the peoples machines that are in a habit of bringing me virus/malware infected machines to fix.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows silverlight on macbook for netflix | OpenOffice v LibreOffice? MS Office alternatives »