New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Java Plug-In Error Message

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anco16

anco16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 6.1/2.26 GHz/2GB/3MbL2

Hey guys So, I have OS X 10.6.7 & the Java Update-4 installed. The issue I'm having is getting through on my work website. From the Univ Medical Center's main page, I am unable to access their various links, because I repeatedly get this error message :
"The Java plug-in is not installed.
The required version: 1.6.0_07"
Regardless of whether I use Firefox 4 or Safari 5.0.4, the same error message appears. Underneath it gives you the option to manually install the plug-in which does not work.
I've read about the different Java versions, i.e. identifying a Mac OS X version from Java, Apple Java versions... and honestly my head is spinning and I don't understand any of it. What are my options?
Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Open up /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app. In the "General" tab, what version does it say you have installed?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
anco16

Thanks for your quick response!
Under the Java Preferences, it says I have 13.4 installed..
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

There is no Java 13. The current highest stable version of Java is 1.6.0_24.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
anco16

I'm so sorry for the delay, took my dog for a walk. i'm been struggling to post a screen shot on here. and cannot figure out how to attach a link to it. but i went under Applications, Java Preferences, Get Info.. the version that is listed there says (sorry since I can't attach the screen shot, I've copied and pasted the info )

Kind: Application (Universal)
Size: 971 KB on disk (696,914 bytes)
Where: /Applications/Utilities
Created: Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:39 PM
Modified: Yesterday 5:42 PM
Version: 13.4.0
Copyright: 2005-2009, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I went back & this time double clicked on Java Pref's :

Java SE 6 Apple Inc. 64-bit 1.6.0.24-b07-334
Java SE 6 Apple Inc. 32-bit 1.6.0.24-b07-334

My apologies ..
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by anco16 View Post
I went back & this time double clicked on Java Pref's :

Java SE 6 Apple Inc. 64-bit 1.6.0.24-b07-334
Java SE 6 Apple Inc. 32-bit 1.6.0.24-b07-334

My apologies ..
That's the one I'm looking for.

Alright, try this. We'll test to see whether or not Java is being used by your browser. Go here, see if Java is working and if so, what version is being used by your browser.

Were either of those versions checked as "on" (checkbox in the left hand column in Java Preferences)?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
anco16

Hi
Yes, it says its working
Java Version SE 6 Update 24
Architecture x86_64

And, both were checked as "on"..
QUOTE Thanks
natella5

natella5 is on a distinguished road

I get a plug-in error message when I try to open a page that requires Java. I checked Application and Utilities and Java preferences. It has both 32-bit and 64-bit checked off..What's the problem?!

Please help ASAP.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Are you using Chrome? If so, know that Chrome doesn't support Java.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble deleting Windows via BootCamp | Burn a bootable ISO of UBUNTU for a PC on my MBP »