New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Unable to install drivers from Mac OSX installation disk in Vista

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wesley04

wesley04 is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to get Windows Vista going with Boot Camp on my new 13' MacBook Pro. I've been able to initiate Boot Camp in Mac OSX, partition the harddrive, and install Vista.

However, when I insert my Mac OS X Install DVD while in Vista, in order to install the drivers, I get this message:
'Boot camp requires that your computer is running Windows 7'

I thought that boot camp allowed any of Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 to be run on a Mac?

Does anyone know how I can get my installation disk to install the drivers onto the Vista partition of my harddisk?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The early 2011 MBP and the late 2010 MBA only support Win 7. There is no support for XP or Vista.

Boot Camp: Macs that work with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7

The manual found in BootCamp Assistant on your Mac should list which versions of Windows your machine will support.

Apple has apparently dropped driver support for those older versions of Windows on the new Macs.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wesley04

****. Seems that my MBP is compatible only with Windows 7.....

So I suppose that trying an installation disk from an earlier Mac computer would be pointless?
QUOTE Thanks
wesley04

So, does that mean that there's no way to get this copy of Vista running on my early 2011 MBP? Is there some other simple way to get all the necessary drivers installed?
I'm very averse to having to spend hundreds of dollars on a copy of Windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Doubtful that an earlier copy of OS X would have even the chipset drivers available for that machine. You might try google and see if anyone has had any success.

Although, my guess would be that most people that would spend the time trying to make it work, either stayed with XP and never even installed a copy of Vista on any of their personal machines or have moved on to Win7. I am in that crowd. Never gave MS any money for Vista. It is, in fact, the reason I even have a Mac.

It doesn't cost hundreds for Win 7. You can get an OEM version of Win 7 from several places for $100 to $130 - check newegg and Amazon.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley04 View Post
So, does that mean that there's no way to get this copy of Vista running on my early 2011 MBP? Is there some other simple way to get all the necessary drivers installed?
I'm very averse to having to spend hundreds of dollars on a copy of Windows 7.
There is a way if you don't care about playing games. Parallels or Fusion should support running Vista in a virtual environment. But that means you'll need a copy of either which will cost around $70 or slightly more.

Also, Windows 7 does not cost hundreds of dollars. It's $99.99 for the 64 bit OEM system builders full version at Amazon.com. LINK
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Windows catch a virus surfing with Safari? Help Please | Windows on Mac and VM »