New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows 7 won't boot after installing Ubuntu 10.10 to a USB.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryebread761

ryebread761 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I installed ubuntu 10.10 to my USB stick. In an attempt to figure out how to boot that USB stick on my 2010 Macbook Pro I burned rEFIt to a DVD. Now when I tried to boot Ubuntu it didn't work. I took out the disk and was about to call it a day when my bootcamp partition started having issues. When I tried to boot Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit holding the option key and selecting it as normal, it hangs on a black screen with a white blinking -. To this point I have reset the SMC and the PRAM and NVRAM. Please help I'm really worried!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How about telling us exactly how you attempted to boot Ubuntu from your MBP? You also said you burned rEFIt to a DVD - that part I don't understand? It almost sounds like you were using the rEFIt boot manager to boot Ubuntu?

I can tell you this much.... that any attempt to boot or install Ubuntu from your MBP, unless you know exactly how to do it, will usually fail and instead lead to having reinstall OS X. GRUB (Linux boot loader) is very unforgiving and will overwrite the OS X boot sector if you're not careful.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

You shouldn't need to download anything to boot from an USB. Unless you want to install Ubuntu as an operating system, you will need to triple boot with Mac OSX, Windows, and Ubuntu.

Good luck!

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
You shouldn't need to download anything to boot from an USB. Unless you want to install Ubuntu as an operating system, you will need to triple boot with Mac OSX, Windows, and Ubuntu.

Good luck!

- Kyle
I don't think you quite get my point. Now windows won't boot. That's my bigger issue I don't even really care about Ubuntu anymore I just want to know my windows partition is ok. It seams to be as I can open it in finder in OS X and all looks alright.
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
How about telling us exactly how you attempted to boot Ubuntu from your MBP? You also said you burned rEFIt to a DVD - that part I don't understand? It almost sounds like you were using the rEFIt boot manager to boot Ubuntu?

I can tell you this much.... that any attempt to boot or install Ubuntu from your MBP, unless you know exactly how to do it, will usually fail and instead lead to having reinstall OS X. GRUB (Linux boot loader) is very unforgiving and will overwrite the OS X boot sector if you're not careful.
Ok thanks for telling me GRUB is dangerous stuff. I'll keep that in mind! Yes I was trying to use rEFIt to boot my USB because it did not show up when I held option. It failed with just the blinking cursor just like windows does now. I had rEFIt on a DVD because I didn't want to install it for fear of screwing up my mac. I followed the instructions to put this on my DVD from the website. rEFIt - Documentation - Burning a Bootable CD
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Put in the Windows 7 CD and have it fix the installation..it should restore the bootloader if that was what is broken..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting back and explaining what happened. It does look like GRUB may have overwritten the Win 7 boot sector. Go ahead and try what Raz0rEdge suggested. Just be careful using the Win 7 DVD as it can damage your OS X installation if you're not careful. Make sure you direct it to your Boot Camp partition and not the MacIntosh HD.

Here are the instructions given by MS: LINK

Make a backup before proceeding. Let us know how it went.
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

Quote:
Thanks for posting back and explaining what happened. It does look like GRUB may have overwritten the Win 7 boot sector. Go ahead and try what Raz0rEdge suggested. Just be careful using the Win 7 DVD as it can damage your OS X installation if you're not careful. Make sure you direct it to your Boot Camp partition and not the MacIntosh HD.

Here are the instructions given by MS: LINK

Make a backup before proceeding. Let us know how it went.
I remember that my Windows partition when I did the Bootcamp thing the install calls it Partition 3 and it's 50 GB. That should be enough to identify it, correct? So what I have to do is is put in my install disk 64-bit (that's what I installed to take advantage of my 4 GB RAM) and restart holding 'c'? How do I get to the window they show on the site?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

The Windows 7 partition should show up as "Boot Camp" or drive c. Either way you should be able to identify it easy enough. The recovery console does get a bit confusing but the Win 7 recovery is much better then XP or Vista.

To get to the window that MS shows all you need to do is have the Win 7 disk boot the Mac. That's where it gets tricky.... The first selection on the list is what you want. From here you need to notice what it's telling you...

It should automatically "see" the boot camp partition as drive c. and it will say so. If it doesn't "see" the right partition for some reason, stop. Don't attempt the repair.

Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

Quote:
The Windows 7 partition should show up as "Boot Camp" or drive c. Either way you should be able to identify it easy enough. The recovery console does get a bit confusing but the Win 7 recovery is much better then XP or Vista.

To get to the window that MS shows all you need to do is have the Win 7 disk boot the Mac. That's where it gets tricky.... The first selection on the list is what you want. From here you need to notice what it's telling you...

It should automatically "see" the boot camp partition as drive c. and it will say so. If it doesn't "see" the right partition for some reason, stop. Don't attempt the repair.

Let us know.
One last question. How long about should this take?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

It won't take long. Once the Win 7 boot disk sees the right partition, it should take seconds to repair its boot sector. Then it'll attempt to reboot.
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

Quote:
It won't take long. Once the Win 7 boot disk sees the right partition, it should take seconds to repair its boot sector. Then it'll attempt to reboot.
When it reboots I will have to make sure to hold option and select windows, correct? Also it will ask me to proceed once it detects the disk right? If it doesn't and it find the wrong disk what then?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Yes you can hold the Option key or C key and let it boot from the Windows 7 DVD either way. It's not going to ask you anything. It will boot to the Windows 7 recovery console just as you saw in the MS KB article.
QUOTE Thanks
ryebread761

Quote:
Yes you can hold the Option key or C key and let it boot from the Windows 7 DVD either way. It's not going to ask you anything. It will boot to the Windows 7 recovery console just as you saw in the MS KB article.
Hmm just tried booting the disk labelled Windows from the "option" menu. Two disks showed. Windows and EFI. Booting "Windows" just took me to the select language menu Should I do EFI?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

No. Continue by selecting the language. It should eventually get you to the screen shown in the MS KB article. The screen you're looking for is the Recovery Console.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't access or see windows partition! | USB Flash Drive Not Recognized »