Booting Windows from External/containing MPB hard drive with OSX & windows partitions
    Okay, I am using an iMac and I am trying to boot Windows XP off an external hard drive that contains my previous hard drive which is a MacBook Pro 120gb that has Leopard and a Boot Camp Windows XP partition.

Is that possible?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I don't believe you'd be able to boot Windows because of limitations germane to its boot loader, but OS X should be bootable (assuming the iMac is an Intel model).

You should be able to use WinClone to port the Boot Camp partition over to the internal HDD.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Yep, I am able to boot OSX from the external, but when I turn the computer on and press 'Alt' it only shows the OSX partition from the external. In other words, when I press 'Alt' it shows the original OSX (internal hard drive partition) and the OSX on the External hard drive but Not the Windows partition on the External hard drive. Hope that makes sense..

ehh

I'll try Winclone and see if that works.

Edit: it say's it's discontinued..

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pdesanctis View Post
    Yep, I am able to boot OSX from the external, but when I turn the computer on and press 'Alt' it only shows the OSX partition from the external. In other words, when I press 'Alt' it shows the original OSX (internal hard drive partition) and the OSX on the External hard drive but Not the Windows partition on the External hard drive. Hope that makes sense..

ehh
    Yep. Windows XP doesn't like to boot from an external, period - even on a regular PC. I've heard there are hacks to make it do so, but have not ever successfully done so.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Exactly right. I was reading up on all the hacks and tricks but it all appears to take too much time and effort for what I intend to use Windows for. I found a download of Winclone on Cnet.co m. That should work for what I want to do.

Thanks for the help!

Would it be possible to use VMware fusion or Parallels to emulate the boot camp partition from the USB?
    11" Macbook Air (v3,1) 1.4GHz, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 64GB SSD
    15" MacBook Pro (v4,1) 2.4GHz, 4GB 667MHz
    OCZ 120GB SSD + 500GB (Optibay)

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by djlanky View Post
    Would it be possible to use VMware fusion or Parallels to emulate the boot camp partition from the USB?
    Absolutely. But you're not really using Boot Camp (which really just splits your internal hard drive), you're using Parallels/VMWare to run Windows, with the hard drive configured on a different volume.

Thread Information