New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problem when installing windows xp with bootcamp(black screen and no disk bootcamp)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neithan69

neithan69 is on a distinguished road

Hello to everybody.
Iīve just installed windows xp with bootcamp, following the instructions in the bootcamp manual. And everything went ok, I managed to install it without any problem at all. I was even able to change some settings like time and date. But once I went back, booting from windows to Mac, Iīve never been able to switch to windows again. I can see the bootcamp disk in the Finder windows, showing its 35 Gb partition and all the folders from windows(Documents and Settings, Users, etc). But when I search for it in Preferences-Start Disks, the bootcamp disk isnīt there at all. I restart iMac with the Option button pressed, but when I select to boot to windows xp, the screen goes black and thatīs all, I have to restart the computer manually.
Does anybody have any idea of the solution?
Thank you very much
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to correct forum.

You didn't provide us with information as to which version of OS X you're using and the specs on your machine, so the answer will be generic.

Did you insert your OS X DVD to install drivers after XP was installed? This has to be done right after XP boots up for the first time. The black screen you described when attempting to boot to XP usually means there is no video driver available. Next time you attempt to boot to XP, hold down the F8 key and try to boot to Windows Safe Mode. If you can get into Safe Mode, insert your OS X DVD and install the drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Moved to correct forum.

You didn't provide us with information as to which version of OS X you're using and the specs on your machine, so the answer will be generic.

Did you insert your OS X DVD to install drivers after XP was installed? This has to be done right after XP boots up for the first time. The black screen you described when attempting to boot to XP usually means there is no video driver available. Next time you attempt to boot to XP, hold down the F8 key and try to boot to Windows Safe Mode. If you can get into Safe Mode, insert your OS X DVD and install the drivers.
Seconded... seen many people with the same problem and for most it has been a case of not loading the OS X DVD into the machine after the first boot!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
neithan69

neithan69 is on a distinguished road

Oh, sorry, itīs true, I didnīt say anything about the DVD. Yes, I did insert the DVD and I could see a lot of stuff being installed for 30 minutes or so. So I suppose I have all the drivers already for windows... Iīm running OS X 10.6.4.
Iīm going to try to boot windows in safe mode with F8, see what happens.
Thank you, guys
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Have you tried holding down the Optio9n key after booting to see what is available?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

He did try that - he noted that in his post.
QUOTE Thanks
luancho

luancho is on a distinguished road

Guys, I'm having that same issue, except that is with windows 7 32bit, the only difference is that it gets black when is ready to start windows for the first time. This is a brand new iMac 21.5"/3.06/4670 Model A1311

Thanks for any suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

See the following LINK and follow directions.
QUOTE Thanks
luancho

Thanks CHSCAG for the input, but I did tried that from a different post with no luck, there are no ATI files.

Any more suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by luancho View Post
Guys, I'm having that same issue, except that is with windows 7 32bit, the only difference is that it gets black when is ready to start windows for the first time. This is a brand new iMac 21.5"/3.06/4670 Model A1311

Thanks for any suggestions!
is the disc an official retail copy, an burnt download from iso (from Microsoft), an OEM version or a pirate copy?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
luancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
is the disc an official retail copy, an burnt download from iso (from Microsoft), an OEM version or a pirate copy?
The disc is a legit copy and is fully licensed, I'm aware on your guidelines about piracy and I'm fully behind them. I did try at first a different disc that turned out to be a defective disc so I had to grab the original.

Thanks for getting back to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Reserved HDD mounting problem on OSX | Windows doesn't recognize earphones/internal speakers? »