New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

bootcamp restarts into question mark after partition

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cnnmbp

cnnmbp is on a distinguished road

im trying to install windows 7 64 bit via external drive on my 2010 mbp.

when i partition the hdd for windows 7 and insert the cd, the mbp reboots and shows a folder with a question mark.

only way to get out of this is to restart the comp and hold alt to boot into osx. there is no option for windows 7 partition to select at that time

i deleted the win7 partition and tried it again and still same problem

any help?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

do you mean you are trying to install Windows 7 on the external? because that's not possible, its an anti piracy feature.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
cnnmbp

sorry.. external optical drive

after i parition my internal drive for windows 7 and insert my ultimate 64bit cd in, the computer reboots and shows that question mark folder
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

are you using bootcamp for all the partitioning?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
cnnmbp

im using the boot camp assistant to partition the drive.. im not entirely sure what you mean by your question.

can i use another parition software to make one and then install windows that way?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

no, I was just making sure you weren't using disk utility. you should always do it through bootcamp. how big are you making the partition? is the disc you are using for windows a full retail disc or an OEM disc?

QUOTE Thanks
cnnmbp

the parition is 80gb. but even when the comp reboots and gets stuck. when i turn off the comp and restart and hold option.. it doesnt show a bootcamp parition at all (if it is suppose to)

it is a retail disk. the same disk i used in parallels to install and it worked fine
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

what version of bootcamp have you got? you need version 3 for windows 7.

are you installing via bootcamp too yes?

QUOTE Thanks
cnnmbp

yes 3.0.2

my mbp is a 2010 model

i am doing everythign through bootcamp it just wont load up the windows installer when it resets
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

try resetting the nvram (boot with cmd, option, p + r)

p.s what happens when you hold down option while restarting in bootcamp?

QUOTE Thanks
cnnmbp

nvram reset now it only shows a circle with a line through it... no more question mark folder

reset in bootcamp holding option brings up the windows cd and then my computer. clicking the windows cd shows the same error
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

heres the official support for the "not allowed" symbol. there is very little information on why it would happen with bootcamp...

Mac OS X: "Broken folder" icon, prohibitory sign, or kernel panic when computer starts

sounds like some important folders have been misplaced.

Do a back up before doing anything.

I would restore your hard drive to one partition (delete the bootcamp partition) and then try this.

Quote:

Insert the Mac OS X Install CD.
Choose Restart from the Apple menu, then press and hold the C key immediately after the startup sound. Note: If you cannot start up from the Mac OS X CD, see "Mac OS X: Stops Responding While Starting Up From Mac OS X CD".
Use Disk Utility to check the disk.
If Disk Utility found no issues or successfully repaired any issues, then continue to the next step. If Disk Utility finds an issue that it cannot resolve, then use the erase and install procedure.
Start up from your Mac OS X volume.
If the issue is resolved, stop here. If not, continue to the next step.
Reinstall Mac OS X. If this does not resolve the issue, see "Mac OS X: Troubleshooting a Startup Issue".
If the issue remains, repeat the steps to reset NVRAM as described above.
Stop here. Do not continue to the next section.

QUOTE Thanks
cnnmbp

i went all the way up to the reinstall mac osx... i am not gonna reinstall the entire os again..ive already done that before

seems the question mark folder has come back
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

when did you last do it, and is this the first time you have done bootcamp?

QUOTE Thanks
jalbasri

jalbasri is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I've got the same issue over here, trying to install Windows 7 Professional x64 on a MacBook Air (original 13").

My symptoms seem to be exactly the same as the OP.

In addition I tried booting using rEFIt and got an "unable to load legacy driver" error. A search for this error on Google did not seem to produce any useful answers.

My copy of Windows was a legit download from MSDN e-academy. I used Disk Utility to burn the downloaded ISO.

Everything I did was through bootcamp assistant (3.0.4), which really was partitioning the hard drive, I gave windows a 20GB partition.

Some things I'm not clear about, what is the difference between Boot Camp and Boot Camp Assistant? And is there a Boot Camp 3.2 because I have read "Boot camp 3.2" on Apple support pages.

OP have you had any progress.

Thanks,
J.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How To Use Bootcamp With Without Windows 7 CD | Increase bootcamp partition size »