New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Installing Windows on 2011 MacBook Pro Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msferna1

msferna1 is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

Im a new Mac User and just got the new 2011 MacBook Pro. My question is related to BootCamp. I have tried 4 times now to create a windows Partition for dual boot options. I have tried 3 times with Windows 7 CD's until i read and realized you need the full install CD, upgrade CD's will not work. So i tried to use a Windows XP CD, THEN upgrade to windows 7, but the windows XP CD will not work now either! (its Windows pro x86 XP Service Pack 3).

Upon reboot of the PC when it tries to laod the windows setup screen it keeps saying "Boot Device Not Available - press any key to continue" And nothing can get me past that, nor can i reboot the comp. I have to hard shut down the computer, then hold the mouse key to eject the CD.

Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to correct forum and title changed for clarity.

You should have been able to install the Windows 7 upgrade on your machine as it does a full install with some provisions.

Since you have a copy of XP, installing the Windows 7 upgrade does not violate the MS EULA, therefore follow these instructions:

LINK

I installed my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade using those exact instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
phil dunphy

phil dunphy is on a distinguished road

I used Virtual Box and it worked perfectly. Not a glitch. Are you using a paid version or other?
P.D.

MBP 15", MBP 13", iPad, iPod touch, iPod nano.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil dunphy View Post
I used Virtual Box and it worked perfectly. Not a glitch. Are you using a paid version or other?
P.D.
The OP is using Boot Camp, which installs Windows natively (i.e. you set your computer up to boot either OS X or Windows). Virtualization products like Virtual Box work in a completely different manner, and are in general, much less intrusive and easier to get up and running.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows on an iBook G3 | Windows 7 on a Mac »