New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Issue with installing win 7 via Bootcamp..help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

20ls01

20ls01 is an unknown at this point

im having this issue....dont know what to do. any help is appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

This question has been asked many times in this and other forums. Doing a search will bring about many hits.

Essentially what the BC assistant is telling you is that there is not enough contiguous free space to create the partition. In other words, the disk is fragmented and the file fragments or files can not be moved by the BC assistant.

You can try making the BC partition smaller as that might work. However, the easiest and fastest way is to erase your hard drive, reinstall OS X, and restore from backup. That will remove the fragmentation.

Make sure you backup first using Time Machine otherwise you will lose all your data.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

You can also use a defragmentation program like iDefrag, which costs about $30. The above option is free. Both are fairly time-consuming and either way, you should back up your drive.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

An quite frankly, leaving 14GB free space with 98GB used on your OS X partition, you should prepare yourself to start spending some time with the bouncing beachball.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Actually I had this exact same issue last week trying to BootCamp Win7. I was so frustrated I called Apple Care. Turns out after running a Disc Utility which discovered some HD/OS errors I was able to run BootCamp and successfully install Win7.

Suggest you try that, my problem was not a defrag issue.

Good luck

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

All I had to do was boot into safe mode: no idea why, but it worked. but as bob says, your leaving too little free space on your OSX partition.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's a good partition size for Windows 7 install using Bootcamp | Bootcamp loads Windows by Default when starting up. How do I change to Mac default? »