New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Wireless works out of home. Not in home

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hollyoak

Hollyoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Mac OSX 10.58 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Memo

I've posted here before on this issue and got several helpful responses. The problem is trying to connect wirelessly on the Windows side in my home. (I'm using Bootcamp.)

I tried a bunch of things suggested on this site and then one day, when I was in Starbucks, I booted into Windows and the wireless worked. Since that time I have found that wireless works fine everywhere but where I really want it to: at home...so I can waste time playing dumb computer games!

Anyone have any idea of why this is happening? It's obviously something on my cable/wireless modem or something.

Oh, almost forgot. Sometimes it does connect and a page loads completely, but then when I try to go to another site it just gets hung up.

Thanks,

Hollyoak

Winter is Coming to HBO!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Hi could you post what router you are using?

Cheers
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Are you able to connect when not in bootcamp?
QUOTE Thanks
Hollyoak

Mac Specs: Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Mac OSX 10.58 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz Memo

Simon, the router is, um...let me go look....

There is a black box that says Arris Telephony Modem, and then I have a smaller white box with an antenna thingy called Netgear Wireless cable Modem Gateway. (As you can see I am technically challenged.)

Brian, yes, when I log out of Windows and go to Mac, wireless works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Sounds like this is more of a software settings issue then. The first thing that occurs to me is do you know which type of encryption your wireless network is using? We don't need the password I am thinking more of whether it is WEP, WPA, etc.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Hollyoak

Thanks, Slydude,

One the Mac side when I go to Network under System Preferences, it says WPA Personal. I looked in Windows for the tab that tells me what the encryption is but I can't find it.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

You might try (if you know how) disabling the password protection on your wireless to start. Then see if you can connect in Windows. If you can, then try to reset the password and see what happens. For certain routers, some have reported this difficulty and it usually goes away if there's no password and the connection can often be obtained once Windows can recognize and connect to it.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Hollyoak

Any idea how to do that Sammy Slim? Would I disable it while running in Mac mode?
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Yes, go into your router/firewall software and disable security from the Mac side (where you can get into it more easily it sounds like). Should be pretty self-evident from the settings. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cloning Windows and Mac dual boot disk | Windows XP - 2011 Macbook Pro Compatibility »