New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How difficult is it to use Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi all, I am thinking of taking the plunge and installing Parallels on my Mac Mini (see sig for specs) The only reason for doing so is so that I can, hopefully, print text to a Dell 720 printer that does not have a driver for Snow Leopard and nor does the same printer with the Lexmark badge. The Parallels software will have no other purpose on my Mac and is only going on after exhausting all other possible avenues other than buying another printer that works with Macs.
What I need to know from the experts is the way that it works.
What I mean is, just imagine that I have a block of text, about 4 x A4 pages worth, that i have just completed on my Mac using either MS Office, Open office or Bean. I want to get them printed off using the Dell 720 printer that is installed on the Windows XP Pro (SP3) partition of my Mac.
How do I actually go about doing it step-by-step?
Many thanks for any help.
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

It's very easy, because you can drag anything from you Mac desktop into the Windows desktop, and then print from Windows the way you normally would.
I would say though, that if this is all you want to do, don't shell out for Parallels, cheaper to buy a new printer, or use something like Virtualbox, which is free.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
jrector

jrector is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13", 8gb RAM, 750gb HD

Don't know about Parallels but VMware Fusion was an easy install. Right now you can get it with a $30 rebate so it ends up being $49. I tried VirtualBox but didn't get it to run. But I didn't spend much time with it. I second the motion to get a new printer. They're so cheap now.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

For your application, given your limited usage, definitely download VirtualBox from Sun. Does the same thing as Parallels and Fusion and is free. Works great. I use it for both Windows and Linux.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Update ....
I ended up installing VMware Fusion 3 and Windows XP Pro SP3.
All is going well so far.
Then I hit a snag. I downloaded the driver for the printer and tried to install it but the software refused to install because a scan done by the driver software couldn't find a printer on the system. So it looks like it's back to the old method of writing text, copy to a pen drive, take to a Windows PC and print it from there. Bummer.
Cheers, all.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

As you found out, Windows drivers are not applicable when you're running Windows through a VM. Fusion takes care of the drivers. In order to use the Dell printer which has no support in OS X, you will need to install XP Pro SP3 via Boot Camp.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Will Boot Camp allow me to copy a file written on the Mac and paste it into whatever it is that Boot Camp creates with a Windows XP partition and print from there or is Boot Camp the one where you need to shut down the Mac and do a restart into the Windows XP part?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Stevie as told before, Lexmark are hopeless. Purchase a Brother, Epson or maybe a Canon printer. Epson TX550W works wirelessly with both Snow Leopard and XP Professional on a Dell Latitude.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

harryb2448 ... You're right. It would be easier.
It's just that I hate the idea of everything being a case of, "Just buy this new ******** costing £ LOADS and all your troubles are over".
Maybe it's true but I'd rather try and find a solution that doesn't cost me £LOADS.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
Will Boot Camp allow me to copy a file written on the Mac and paste it into whatever it is that Boot Camp creates with a Windows XP partition and print from there or is Boot Camp the one where you need to shut down the Mac and do a restart into the Windows XP part?
You will have to reboot the Mac into Windows XP before you can use the Dell printer. However, if you format your Boot Camp partition to FAT-32, (has to be less than 32 GB) you will be able to read and write to it from the Mac side. So yes, you can copy files from the Mac side to the XP side but then you will need to reboot to XP before printing.

An inconvenience, but certainly less expensive than buying a new printer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to update Bootcamp 3.1 and 3.2 wthin black screen Win 7 problem | Bootcamp won't load Windows XP »