New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Problem Installig Microsoft on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mabetini

Mabetini is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone!

You guys were so helpful when I asked about which iMac I should purchase that I thought I would come back again with a problem!

I'm on my new 27 inch iMac right now (yay!), refurbished quad-core i5 with 4gb, in case any of that matters.

I need Microsoft programs on it for my new job so I today I bought Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011 as a download from Microsoft's Ultimate Steal website. They emailed me a download link, and I went through the motions to DL a 47.2 MB file called X17-15993.dmg

I have been installing new .dmg files/programs all morning, getting my machine up to par with what I need. But with this one, when I try to install it after it's done downloading it tells me: "Warning - The following disk images couldnt be opened - not recognized". I checked the info on the file and it is set to open with DiskImageMounter like its supposed to.

What do you think the problem is and how do you think I fix it? I just spent 100 dollars on this so I hope it wasn't a waste of money!

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabetini View Post
They emailed me a download link, and I went through the motions to DL a 47.2 MB file called X17-15993.dmg
I don't have the file in front of me but I can guarantee that it's much larger than 47.2 MB. You have a corrupt download - re-download it and you should be fine.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Mabetini

I have tried redownloading it twice now...I will try again.

Thank you for your help! I have been scouring the Microsoft website looking for the right department to call about this....
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Van is correct. The Office 2011 Home and Student version download is way larger than 47.2 MB. Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?

Sometimes Microsoft downloads will only consist of an installer. When the installer is opened and executed, it downloads the remainder of the program, however, I've never seen MS use this for Mac OS X downloads.

Call MS customer support if you're having difficulties.
QUOTE Thanks
Mabetini

Thank you for the response!

I am starting to think the DL was in fact corrupted. This is my third time downloading it and now it is taking quite a while...and it says it is over 800 MB. Does that sound right?

The first time I tried to DL it had DL'd itself in two parts. Was it something that I did wrong?

If it doesn't work this time I will give them a call. Still have an hour left on the download!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mabetini

It seems to be working now. Thank you guys for your help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Yes that is right, as close to 1GB for the Home and Business download version.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to repartition hard drives | Windows Remote Desktop: Tilde, Quote and Double-Quote do not appear »