Question Problem Installig Microsoft on iMac
    Hi everyone!

You guys were so helpful when I asked about which iMac I should purchase that I thought I would come back again with a problem!

I'm on my new 27 inch iMac right now (yay!), refurbished quad-core i5 with 4gb, in case any of that matters.

I need Microsoft programs on it for my new job so I today I bought Microsoft Office for Mac Academic 2011 as a download from Microsoft's Ultimate Steal website. They emailed me a download link, and I went through the motions to DL a 47.2 MB file called X17-15993.dmg

I have been installing new .dmg files/programs all morning, getting my machine up to par with what I need. But with this one, when I try to install it after it's done downloading it tells me: "Warning - The following disk images couldnt be opened - not recognized". I checked the info on the file and it is set to open with DiskImageMounter like its supposed to.

What do you think the problem is and how do you think I fix it? I just spent 100 dollars on this so I hope it wasn't a waste of money!

Thank you!

2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabetini View Post
    They emailed me a download link, and I went through the motions to DL a 47.2 MB file called X17-15993.dmg
    I don't have the file in front of me but I can guarantee that it's much larger than 47.2 MB. You have a corrupt download - re-download it and you should be fine.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

I have tried redownloading it twice now...I will try again.

Thank you for your help! I have been scouring the Microsoft website looking for the right department to call about this....

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Van is correct. The Office 2011 Home and Student version download is way larger than 47.2 MB. Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?

Sometimes Microsoft downloads will only consist of an installer. When the installer is opened and executed, it downloads the remainder of the program, however, I've never seen MS use this for Mac OS X downloads.

Call MS customer support if you're having difficulties.

Thank you for the response!

I am starting to think the DL was in fact corrupted. This is my third time downloading it and now it is taking quite a while...and it says it is over 800 MB. Does that sound right?

The first time I tried to DL it had DL'd itself in two parts. Was it something that I did wrong?

If it doesn't work this time I will give them a call. Still have an hour left on the download!!

It seems to be working now. Thank you guys for your help!!!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Yes that is right, as close to 1GB for the Home and Business download version.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information