New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Multiple Operating systems....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davyvfr

davyvfr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen

Hello,

How would I go about installing multiple operating systems on my Mac using Bootcamp? Lets say I wanted to install Windows and possibly Linux or Windows 8 when it comes out. I understand I should probably read through forums before doing so. Also, lets say I get a virus on the Windows OS, would it affect the Mac OS? And, is it possible to erase a partition? Finally, can I read and write on a partition using bootcamp (running Windows)?

Thank you Mac Forums
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

you can read and write on FAT32 windows partitions, not NTFS. NTFS would be read only.
so 32GB or less.

you can read and write to NTFS with a third party driver supplied by paragon.

If you wanted to install a triple boot with linux you would have to use reFit, which isnt supported by Apple. ive never used it. you could alternatively use Linux in a VM: VirtualBox is a free option.

Windows 8 you will probably have to wait for an updated version of bootcamp for.

yes you can erase partitions, the virus wouldnt affect OSX. you could just wipe the windows partition.

The bootcamp Assistant in your utilities folder is very easy to use.

hope this helps

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
davyvfr

Thank you so much So it is possible to write on a Fat32 partition? Would bootcamp explain this to me before I partitioned? I plan to split my hard-drive into 250GB for each OS.

Onlive Gaming is the Future!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

well, anything above 32GB must be formatted to NTFS, because windows doesnt like it.

it wont explain about it.

however its not so bad, you don't really need to write between i have found. you can read, so anything you need off either drive can be transferred to the OS you are working on. so if you had something on OSX you wanted to put onto windows, simply boot into windows and drag from the OSX partition onto the windows partition.

250GB will be fine, btw

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
davyvfr

Great. Well, I actually plan to use my Windows partition ONLY for Onlive, which say takes up only around 15mb. Does Apple Support cover partitioning the hard drive or do you think it might void my warranty?

QUOTE Thanks
Armageddon

Armageddon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8GBS RAM - 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPMs -

Using boot camp will not allow you to have more than two OS's. I would recommend using rEFIt, it's what i use.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

Apple are the people that created bootcamp, and partitioning your hard drive will not void your warranty. obviously you should do a backup before messing with your drive, and only do any partitioning through OSX, not windows.

what is Onlive? i am not familiar.

QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Read the stickies at the top of this forum. They will answer most of your questions.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
davyvfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
Apple are the people that created bootcamp, and partitioning your hard drive will not void your warranty. obviously you should do a backup before messing with your drive, and only do any partitioning through OSX, not windows.

what is Onlive? i am not familiar.
Onlive is a service that allows the user to play the latest and demanding games on ANY laptop/desktop with a good internet connection. Since the laptop doesn't do any of the work, it is only being used as a monitor/display. Super-computers in different parts of the USA do all the work. That is why I plan to partition. Onlive is compatible with both operating systems (Mac and Windows) but I prefer to use it on windows and do all my school work on Mac. Its a fun thing to have IF you have a good internet connection (which means highspeed and not dial up)

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyvfr View Post
Onlive is a service that allows the user to play the latest and demanding games on ANY laptop/desktop with a good internet connection. Since the laptop doesn't do any of the work, it is only being used as a monitor/display. Super-computers in different parts of the USA do all the work. That is why I plan to partition. Onlive is compatible with both operating systems (Mac and Windows) but I prefer to use it on windows and do all my school work on Mac. Its a fun thing to have IF you have a good internet connection (which means highspeed and not dial up)
If that's true, I'd highly recommend saving yourself a ton of trouble and using Windows through a virtualization product like VMWare Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox. This way, you don't have to bother with partitioning and you can run as many (or as few) OSes simultaneously as you so choose. Virtualization is far more flexible and there's no need to worry about damaging your filesystem or primary OS.

As SammySlim pointed out, the sticky at the top of this forum contains a wealth of information and you can save yourself hours of work by reviewing it and better understanding your options.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 7 boot camp not booting | Help! No Windows 7 disc because my toshiba doesn't have an optical drive »