New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to backup windows bootcamp (partitioned) part of HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kobe24

Kobe24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (2010)- 2.4 GHz Duo- 8 GB Ram

Hey guys! I am about to setup bootcamp with Windows 7 on my macbook pro and I will probably partitioning around 50GB. My only question is that how will i backup this portion of my internal HDD with my usb external HDD? Currently I am using CCC (carbon copy cloner) to backup my whole HDD. Will CCC backup the partitioned portion?!
Thanks for any help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Late 2010 MacBook Pro 13"  2.4GHz Duo 8 GB Ram 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

With CCC, backing up non-HFS+-formatted volumes (Bootcamp) is not currently supported.
But they are investigating how to provide this support in a future release.

I have read that people have used Winclone to backup their bootcamp partition but not with good results.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Agree with not using Winclone. Too many problems and it reportedly has caused corruption for some.

However, Microsoft was real nice with Windows 7 and provided an easy way to make the backup direct from Windows. All you need is an external drive formatted to NTFS (must be NTFS or it will not work)

Select backup from the Start menu. Attach the formatted NTFS external drive. Now select backup and backup to image. (both) Windows 7 will make a clone copy of your partition to the external drive and at the same time make a compressed backup of the files and folders.

In order to restore, attach the NTFS external drive and then boot the machine (your Mac) with the Windows 7 DVD, select the Boot Camp partition, and click on restore image. Follow directions. The program will restore your Windows 7 partition from the external NTFS drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Kobe24

Kobe24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (2010)- 2.4 GHz Duo- 8 GB Ram

Thanks guys! Cleared things up for me quite a bit.

Late 2010 MacBook Pro 13"  2.4GHz Duo 8 GB Ram 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I just upgraded from WinXP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate on my Bootcamp partition and I am new to it. Thx for the backup info chscag!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
CelticArtFan

CelticArtFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP OS X 10.6.6, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Win 7 Ult, 3G iPhone

I just added a Bootcamp partition for Win 7 and wondered about the Windows backup. Does the external HDD need to be dedicated for backups only or can it have some existing files on it?

I know it's not a problem for Time Machine backups, except that it limits available backup space. I assume it works generally the same. Can someone confirm this?

-CAF
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As long as the external hard drive is formatted to NTFS and has space for the image and backup folder, it can be shared with other data. I have mine setup that way and it works fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Simple Bootcamp Question | How to install MAC OS x on Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. »