New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp - Parallels 6 - Win7 all not playing nice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattbaehr

mattbaehr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

I am new to Macs and just got a MacBook Pro. I installed Win7 32bit fine through BootCamp. Then I installed Parallels since I want to run both OS side by side. Parallels looks like it works fine as I see the Win7 login, start menu, etc.

1) I plugged in a USB drive with files I want to copy to Win7 partition/OS, but can't

2) If I try to boot into Win7 from startup (bootcamp), it just locks up during windows boot.

Total Newb, so I am sure I messed something up. Any Ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I'm not sure what happened either. Normally, Windows 7 will work very well both from the Boot Camp partition and using that partition as a VM in Parallels or Fusion. It's possible the Windows 7 boot sector is corrupt as that would cause the error you're getting.

When you plug in a USB device while running from Parallels, it should ask you whether you want to use it in Windows or OS X.

Try to repair Windows 7. See this LINK. This is usually successful if you previously used the Windows 7 backup and image option. If you didn't, it may be hit and miss.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I have found that I have to go into the windows file menu and select the usb devices I want to use, rather than getting asked if I want to by Parallels.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
mattbaehr

It didn't really ask me, but I went into the Devices menu and chose windows, but then I didn't see it when I went into My Computer in windows.

If I nuke everything and start over, will I still be able to activate windows since I already activated it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I may be thinking about Fusion as it definitely will ask in a dialog where you wish the device to be used. I thought that Parallels did the same, however, it's been over a year since I've used it. I'm currently running Fusion 3.X.

As to your question regarding starting over... yes, you can re-activate Windows 7. But you will probably have to do it via phone if it's been less than 90 days since the last activation.

Why don't you first try repairing Windows 7 before reinstalling? If the repair fails, then reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
mattbaehr

I will try repair and see what happens.

On the USB Drive front, I just plugged it in and it said choose Mac OS or My Boot Camp. I picked my Boot Camp. Then I couldn't see it in windows. However, when I went to devices and unchecked it, it showed up in both my Mac Desktop and my windows My Computer.

When I try to do something with a file in the USB drive in windows, it says I don't have write access.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows on Mac Problems | Snow Leopard Boot Camp drivers (no DVD) »