New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

2nd partition on hdd is locked...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gizmoton

gizmoton is on a distinguished road

I am new to Mac... And recieved a Imac G3 450 DV for Christmas from my brother to give me an introduction to the world of Mac. I have upgraded the ram to 1Gb, and have changed the HDD to a 40 Gb Maxtor. I formatted the drive using MacDrive 8 (cant find any support for this issue on their site..); I made the 1st partition 7 Gb HFS+ and made the remaing 2nd partition HFS+ as well, (using my PC to do this)

All looks good... I installed the drive in my IMac G3 and installed OS 9. 2. 2. (I have also updated the firmware to the required 4.1.9.; in order to later install OS X)

All works fine .. both Partitions show up on the desktop, and I can open the 2nd partition, but cant write to it.. I have been searching for quite some time on Google and Mac support for a solution, but cant find anything that seems to be the answer. Is there a way to unlock the 2nd partition without erasing the whole drive? thank you in advance...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hi, question about installing Windows 7 on an iMac. :] | boot camp not booting »