Question Help. Will this work? Xp on Mac.
    Hello everyone. Ok so just this christmas I bought the imac 21.5 inch.
    Specs: (I don't know if you need this but it could help.)
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i3
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s

I don't wan't to spend much money on installing a windows system on my mac using bootcamp. I found this "reinstallation disk" on Amazon for $15.00 or something and from the comments it says that it's basically the same as the normal installation disks. Also i like xp because its simple thats why i'm choosing it. Here is the link: Amazon.com: Dell Windows Xp Home Sp3 Reinstallation Disc: Everything Else
    Anybody think this will work?

You can always try it but generally these discs don't work. As a general rule, you need either a full retail disc or a "system builder's OEM" disk for bootcamp. Dell discs, in particular, don't work. This is pretty clearly spelled out in the Boot Camp instructions and in the stickies at the top of this forum page. Virtual machines are somewhat more flexible on Windows versions but Boot Camp is quite finicky.

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Nope. That disc is machine-specific. Will only work on the Dell computer it came with.
    Search NewEgg, CompUSA, and Amazon for full retail disc. As SammySlim mentioned, a system builder's OEM will work as well (and is usually cheaper).
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by SammySlim View Post
    You can always try it but generally these discs don't work. As a general rule, you need either a full retail disc or a "system builder's OEM" disk for bootcamp. Dell discs, in particular, don't work. This is pretty clearly spelled out in the Boot Camp instructions and in the stickies at the top of this forum page. Virtual machines are somewhat more flexible on Windows versions but Boot Camp is quite finicky.
    Ok. Thanks. Sorry I only read the first sticky. The second one i just read and it explains it. Ill just end up buying windows 7 or something probably.

Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    As SammySlim mentioned, a system builder's OEM will work as well (and is usually cheaper).
    Can you please explain what a System Builder OEM is real quick? Just the basic idea of it? (im not very techy)

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    It's designed to be used on a machine you put together. Or, by small system builders who build computers and sell them. The System Builder OEM version is a legal way that Microsoft allows its operating systems to be sold along with the machine that was built. It's a restrictive version, however. It can not be transferred to another machine if the original is destroyed, nor will Microsoft provide any support for it.

Thread Information