New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows 7 install problem Mac Pro

Thread Closed

vodoochild81

vodoochild81 is on a distinguished road

I am trying to install Windows 7 on my early 08 Mac Pro... Everything is up to date, I am on 10.6.6... I go to install via boot camp assistant. I created a partition just fine...

Then it asks if I want to download the support software, and it gives me an error when I try to save it to a hard drive or disk..I read that you can just use your leopard DVD to install that software so I skipped that step.

I then go to start the installation with my Windows 7 disk in the drive and it boots my machine to start the installation but nothing happens...There is nothing on my monitor.

Any ideas? I read that the latest version of bootcamp supports windows 7... I have 3.0.4 and when I go to software update there is no updates available.

Thanks.
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved to correct forum.

Quote:
Then it asks if I want to download the support software, and it gives me an error when I try to save it to a hard drive or disk..I read that you can just use your leopard DVD to install that software so I skipped that step.
What support software? Is it specifically for the Mac Pro so that you can install Windows? I know the Mac Pro has unique hardware that may not be driver supported for Windows on the Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.
vodoochild81

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Moved to correct forum.

What support software? Is it specifically for the Mac Pro so that you can install Windows? I know the Mac Pro has unique hardware that may not be driver supported for Windows on the Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD.
Im not sure. It just calls it windows support software. I have installed windows xp on my mac just fine so I dont understand why windows 7 would be a problem. it is a 64 bit machine. I remember that after installing xp I used the leopard dvd to install drivers and etc...I cant even get it to install.

When you guys try to install windows in boot camp it doesn't ask you if you want to download the windows support software?
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

No. That one is news to me but then I've never had a Mac Pro ... One question: where did you get the Windows disc? Is it a legal, full retail or system builder's OEM disc? If not, it may either be pirated or if a manufacturer's OEM disc, it may be trying to load the manufacturer's information. Unless it's a full retail or system builder's OEM disc, it will not likely install in Boot Camp. That could be it.

Cheers
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Now that I saw your reply to my initial question, I agree with Sammy. It does sound like you are using a version of Windows that will not work. As Sammy pointed out it may be an OEM version.
vodoochild81

Its an AIO version. I know people who had no problems installing it on their macs..however they were not Mac Pro's. Why would this be a problem?
chscag

Quote:
Its an AIO version
First, explain what an AIO version is. Is it an academic version of some sort?
vodoochild81

All In one. Has a bunch of different versions on the same disk.
vodoochild81

I have an update. So I tried to install boot camp with windows XP and still the same results. I think I found the problem. This is a mac pro and I have a windows partition on a separate drive... Can you have multiple windows partitions with boot camp on the same computer? I think that is what is confusing it because when I go to install windows XP it just boots into my windows xp partition...so I think it is getting confused there. Maybe I need to erase that one first?
SammySlim

Again, never had a Mac Pro but on a Mac with only one hard drive, Boot Camp will not work on a drive that has already been partitioned. So, I would use Boot Camp to restore the drive with the XP partition (assuming you created it with BC) to a single Mac volume, then try again. Not sure about the AIO thing either - that didn't really answer my or Chscag's question about the source of the disk. If it is a full retail version of XP or OEM system builder's edition, it will work. If it's something else, then even restoring the drive may not work. Did others use the exact same disc for their installations?

Good luck!
SammySlim

One more thing: an all-in-one DVD is a user-created DVD that has .ISO files from whatever windows versions you want to put on there. It is NOT a DVD provided or sold by Microsoft. As a result, unless you created this DVD yourself as the owner of each of the Windows versions on that disc, it was created in violation of the end-user license agreements and we won't support it here.

Even if you did create the DVD yourself after having purchased all the Windows versions on it legally, whatever Windows version you are trying to install in Boot Camp had to be either a full retail version of Windows or a "system builder OEM" version of Windows in order for it to work under Boot Camp.

That's probably why the OP didn't respond to our questions about the provenance of the disc. I would advise the moderator to respond accordingly to this thread.

Cheers
chscag

To the OP: (vodoochild81)

I'm closing this thread due to the fact that I believe you're using an illegal version of Windows. Microsoft nor any other retailer that I know of sells an "All In One" version of Windows. You will receive no further assistance from these forums.

Thread Closed

« Trouble with harddisk space - running Win7 on iMac | password for word »