New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

DOS in a Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kbpereira

kbpereira is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to run a DOS software in a MAC machine?

I am very tired of PC's, want to go back to a MAC, but I have a little issue, I work at home and the software that I use it is running DOS. I would like to know if Will I be able to install the software at the MAC?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you do want to switch to Mac, you might want to see if there are any native Mac versions of your application or another application that does the same thing..

In the meanwhile, you can potentially try out DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Back to front I think Razor. If you buy an Intel Mac running Leopard or Snow Leopard, you will be able to install Windows via Bootcamp and run the program that way.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Strangely enough..a lot of TRUE DOS applications don't function well on Windows XP and onward..you have to emulate (strange I know) a DOS environment there even..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

True DOS applications have to be run using command.com rather than the cmd.exe emulator. Both are available in WinNT, W2K, XP, Vista, and Win7. However, both Vista and Win 7 are more finicky about running older programs. Some work, some don't.
QUOTE Thanks
kbpereira

Here it is the information to Install the System that I use.
Data Entry Emulator - version 8.0
<C> Copyright 1985-1995 computer keyes
Licensed program material, all rights reserved

File to contain SET Environment Statements: C: \autoexec.bat
File to cantain SHELL Statement : C: \congif.sys
__________________________________________________ _________

There are any place that I can go to try to install the system? Before I buy a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I used Wine for a limited time while converting a bunch of old Wordperfect files. I think I was running Wordperfect 5.1 and it worked fine. Been a while though.

WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpereira View Post
Here it is the information to Install the System that I use.
Data Entry Emulator - version 8.0
<C> Copyright 1985-1995 computer keyes
Licensed program material, all rights reserved

File to contain SET Environment Statements: C: \autoexec.bat
File to cantain SHELL Statement : C: \congif.sys
__________________________________________________ _________

There are any place that I can go to try to install the system? Before I buy a mac?
Which version of Windows do you have? As I mentioned above, Vista and Windows 7 do not run older programs well and the command.com environment settings work best in XP.

I have run numerous older DOS programs from XP, even ones that needed statements in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

If you have a friend or know someone who owns a Mac, maybe you can test you program there. But you would have to install Windows in order to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
kbpereira

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Which version of Windows do you have? As I mentioned above, Vista and Windows 7 do not run older programs well and the command.com environment settings work best in XP.

I have run numerous older DOS programs from XP, even ones that needed statements in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

If you have a friend or know someone who owns a Mac, maybe you can test you program there. But you would have to install Windows in order to do it.
The version off my Windows it is XP Professional. I do have friend who owns a mac, What Do I need to do, because I install mackeeper in someone else computer, but did not work at all. How do I do? What Do I need to install and how I will install my software?
Thanks for your information.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to upgrade XP to 7. | Create another partition in Windows »