New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Trouble with harddisk space - running Win7 on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pern

Pern is on a distinguished road

Hey

I can usually fix most of my problems by googling, but this time I have given up.
I am running Windows 7 on my iMac and when I installed Windows, I was asked how I wanted to split the harddrive space (I don't know the correct term for this, but I mean how much memory I wanted on the Windows part of the computer and how much on the Mac). I chose most space on the Mac part, but now I have regretted, as my Windows harddrive is already full.
How can I change this?
I'm not much of a computer expert, but I can usually work my way around things, if I have a guide or a general idea, but now I have no idea.

I appreciate any help!

Pern

(English is not my first language, I hope I have made my problem clear, otherwise please feel free to ask)
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

as far as im aware, you cant change partition sizes on the fly. you would have to back up your windows partition, then reinstall via bootcamp, setting a larger partition.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I'm surprised you were unable to find a solution with Google. I found 3 methods by Googling "How to change windows bootcamp partition size". Anyways, there's plenty out there (even YouTube videos). Most suggest cloning your Windows OS to an external drive with an app called Winclone. Then delete your bootcamp and re-partition, this time making it larger (or smaller if that applies), and bring Windows back over from the clone on the external. Others include using apps like Unix Tools and iPartition.
I've never tried any of these, so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Probably not a good idea to use WinClone. The application is no longer being developed although there is still a user forum which is active. The app has a tendency to corrupt the boot sector which can be troublesome.

I recommend buying "CampTune" from Paragon software. It's good software and can increase or decrease the Boot Camp partition without losing data.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Plus 1 for CampTune. It's the best dynamic partition resizing tool out there for Boot Camp. But even so, be sure and back everything up before doing so.

Also, like any other drive, there may be files you can store better on an external drive, such as images and videos, that tend to max out your space quickly. Low tech but also works fine.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Pern

Pern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I'm surprised you were unable to find a solution with Google. I found 3 methods by Googling "How to change windows bootcamp partition size".
It's simple that I did not know to google for that. I've googled a millions things, but I'm not familiar with the term "partition size", though it now makes total sense to me. (The whole not-so-computer-smart combined with not having English as my first language)

To all of you, thank you very much, I will try it and let you know if it work
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [HELP] Cant load Snow Leopard After Windows 7 Install [HELP] | Windows 7 install problem Mac Pro »