New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

"No Bootable device- insert disc and press any key"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac Hunter

Mac Hunter is on a distinguished road

Hi Team,
I am new to this Mac world. I am in Big trouble so please some one help me to fix the following issue.

I am using Mac BookPro (10.5.2). Trying to install Vista Ultimate via bootcamp, I have partitioned the drive and when I try to start the installer for windows getting a message ""No Bootable device- insert disc and press any key"
I have enabled the startup to start with CD(windows) and still the same issue.
My internal DVD drive is gone bad. So I am using external DVD drive. Also I installed the VirtualBox and I can able to install Vista..but I don't want to use VB. I want to use Boot Camp. So please please please help me out from this issuueeeeeeee.......

Thanks,
MaC

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gk[/FONT]
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Microsoft has long restricted Windows so that it cannot be booted from an external drive, which is why you are getting the error. You will need to replace your internal drive on the MBP to boot Windows. This is not a Mac, Boot Camp or OSX issue - this has been the case for Windows since the mid-1990s... Sorry to bring you the bad news.

And while you're at it, you should consider upgrading to Snow Leopard for $29, and once you get Windows installed, upgrading to the latest BootCamp version (3.2) I believe from within Windows.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Have a look at this thread from 2008, i'm sure the same principals will be in play using rEFIt. (About half way down is a guide) but read the whole thing to understand your problem and why this solution works.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/win...ernal-dvd.html

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Hunter

Mac Hunter is on a distinguished road

Thank you Sammy & Buzzard!!
I have fixed my issue by replacing my internal CD/DVD drive and everything is working fine. Once again thanks a lot for your support.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Gk[/FONT]
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp Problem | "Setup is starting Windows" freeze »