New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

How to install "Classic" on Intel MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jman995x

jman995x is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I've been reading on the web about how to run Classic OS on Intel Macs, but most of the articles are circa 2006.

Does anybody have more current information about how to do this?

I'm studying to get into Dental School and I found my Chemistry book from 2004 that had accompanying CD's that only run in Classic. I'd like to review them for the test.

Also, if Mini VMac, Basilisk, etc., etc. is still the only way to go, can somebody tell me where I can get a copy of the Classic ROM image?

Thanks,

Justin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Give this a read:

Classic Environment

...the important part is..."Classic is supported on PowerPC-based Macs running versions of Mac OS X up to v10.4 Tiger, but is not supported on v10.5 Leopard and later, nor on Intel-based Macs running any version of Mac OS X."

One easy & inexpensive solution is just buy an older PPC Mac (with OS 10.4 & "Classic" already installed on it)...and you're good to go.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jman995x

jman995x is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Give this a read:

Classic Environment

...the important part is..."Classic is supported on PowerPC-based Macs running versions of Mac OS X up to v10.4 Tiger, but is not supported on v10.5 Leopard and later, nor on Intel-based Macs running any version of Mac OS X."

One easy & inexpensive solution is just buy an older PPC Mac (with OS 10.4 & "Classic" already installed on it)...and you're good to go.

HTH,

- Nick
In some of my reading, though, I've seen multiple people state that they've used certain programs/emulation software(s) like SheepShaver and Basilisk to emulate a PowerPC (and thus Classic) on Intel-based Macs.

Am I just reading them wrong?

I guess I could also run a VNC Server on an old(er) Mac and a VNC Client on my MBP, but I really don't want to have to buy an old Mac just to view these CD videos.

I guess I'm finding it hard to believe that there are multiple programs out there like Parallels and VMWare Fusion that will run crappy Windows OS on a Mac...but that there doesn't seem to be even one application that will allow you to run old Mac OS on new Macs.
I would think the former situation would be nearly impossible, and the latter situation would be a no-brainer...but that seems to be reversed.

J.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman995x View Post
In some of my reading, though, I've seen multiple people state that they've used certain programs/emulation software(s) like SheepShaver and Basilisk to emulate a PowerPC (and thus Classic) on Intel-based Macs.
Yeah...you can do it with those programs...but there are some hurdles to clear like having the correct "Roms" an such.

For me since I have some old Powermac's laying around with 10.4 & before on them...this way is just easier. Sometimes you can find an old G3 iMac for free...or buy one for something like $25 bucks. If it already has the OS needed already installed in it...your good!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I'm in the same boat. I want to use Propellerhead's Rebirth music app on my '07 MBP w/ OS 10.6.6. No such luck with intel.
Guess I'll go with buying an older Mac so it can get used with my other music apps

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i cant turn off my macbook pro :( help me pls | Windows - MS Office - auto save »