New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows ME on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Firejack

Firejack is on a distinguished road

Ok so I have finally got boot camp to run after the error which said "Back up the disk and use disk utility to format it as a single mac os extended (journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using boot camp assist again"
After this I tried bootcamp and it partition fine I started up from the windows ME disc and everything works fine until I get to the Welcome setup screen
which say "to setup windows now, press enter"
Once I press enter nothing happens and it just stays on that screen I have tried every button on this screen but none of them work!
The were working when selecting options of start up on the windows disc and all so t is pretty confusing!

Can you suggest anything do I need some windows keyboard drivers?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Boot Camp doesn't support Windows ME. It has specific requirements - Windows XP, Vista or 7. The hardware is simply too new and drivers do not exist for an OS that old.

If you really must run ME, you'll need to do so in virtualization (VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or VirtualBox).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

cwa beat me to it

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Firejack is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks for the help I guess I will have to get my hands on a copy of windows XP any ideas on how should I
1. Buy it
2. Borrow it
3. Steal it (ummm... this isnt a real option for me)
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
Ok thanks for the help I guess I will have to get my hands on a copy of windows XP any ideas on how should I
1. Buy it
2. Borrow it
You can buy Windows XP from Tigerdirect.com, among others. If it were me, I would choose Windows 7 instead of XP, but to each his own.

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

This is the first time I have heard of someone actually wanting to install ME. Just about all the software that will run on ME will also run on XP and it's much more stable. You can still buy XP but it's not as easy to find as Windows 7.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
1. Buy it
2. Borrow it
Neither is #2. Windows XP can not be installed on more than one computer at a time, thanks to its Product Activation mechanism.

Just go out and pick up a copy of Windows 7. You can use the upgrade version, just be sure not to register/activate it until AFTER it's completely installed (skip the process when prompted) and you've installed the Boot Camp software package.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cloning Bootable Windows HDD | Virtual PC Cannot See Superdrive in Mac G5 »