Cool How to install Parallels if I've already partitioned my drive with Bootcamp?
    Hello everyone, I have a MacBook Pro that I installed Windows 7 on with Bootcamp. I recently bought Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac so that I don't have to restart my computer every time I want to switch over. The only thing is, I don't have a clue what to do now. Can I get Parallels to work off of my already partitioned drive, or do I need to clear out that partition and uninstall windows and my other programs and start from scratch? I bought this from the college student tech store and it didn't come with any instructions...

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Parallels works differently to Boot Camp in that you don't need a dedicated partition on your HD to run it.
    It works very much like a regular program that you install and it will make the relevant folders and files it need to run.
    Now if you want to use everything on your bootcamp partition on parallels then install parallels and when you run it, it should give you the option to start your bootcamp installation if you want to. You will need to keep the bootcamp partition to do it this way but it means you then have the option to either boot into boot camp, or, boot into OSX then start your bootcamp from inside the parallels window.

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Hello Buzzards2010,

If I elect to run the programs on parallels that are partitioned on my bootcamp, if I later remove the partition, will I have to reinstall them? I'm still a little confused how all this works. I'd assume that I'd be better off removing my partition, since I won't have to dedicate that portion of my drive. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Parallels can basically run your partition from inside OSX so if you did get rid of the partition then yes you would have to re-install the prgrams.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011

Thanks again for the advice. I've been running parallels for a couple weeks now without a hitch. This is definitely better than bootcamp, which has since been uninstalled.

Specs:
    Glad you got it all sorted out.

- Simon

May 2011

Slightly off topic but........
    Is it necessary or desirable to partition the drive if I am using parallels and windows for the first time?
    i just installed them but without making a Boot Camp partition.
    Aloha!

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    No, it's not necessary to partition the drive if you've installed Parallels and Windows 7 as a VM in Parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    No, it's not necessary to partition the drive if you've installed Parallels and Windows 7 as a VM in Parallels.
    Many thanks.
    Actually I used XP Pro.

I've just installed Win7 as a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop 6 on my Feb 2011 MBP i5.
    I haven't tinkered around with it too much yet, but have noticed a hit on battery life and memory.
    My main reason for not dropping Win altogether is to run Lotus Notes and to connect remotely to work (PC environment).

But I'm wondering is it more economical (with regard to performance and battery life) to install Win 7 in a Boot Camp partition and then run it from Parallels within Snow Leopard?

Or am I still effectively running the same virtual machine only accessing a Windows partition directly, as opposed to a virtual file system?

Can I still run all the Windows apps in this instance i.e. from the boot camp partition?

thanks, joemac

Do I need to partition HD if I install the parallels and Windows 7 on to my Mac Pro,
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Parallels works differently to Boot Camp in that you don't need a dedicated partition on your HD to run it.
    It works very much like a regular program that you install and it will make the relevant folders and files it need to run.
    Now if you want to use everything on your bootcamp partition on parallels then install parallels and when you run it, it should give you the option to start your bootcamp installation if you want to. You will need to keep the bootcamp partition to do it this way but it means you then have the option to either boot into boot camp, or, boot into OSX then start your bootcamp from inside the parallels window.

Hope this helps

- Simon
    Hi Simon, I got my 1st Mac Pro, and I have installed the parallels and Windows 7 on to my Mac Pro. Any needs to partition the drive and reinstall the parallels and Windows OS again, any concerns if i do it or just leave it, is the performance affected if I just leave it? your adivce please... Thanks

kevin

Thread Information