New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Bootcamp white screen but not locked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr mufakka

Mr mufakka is on a distinguished road

Ok, i'm trying to install Windows XP on my intel iMac 24. I've used boot camp to create a partition. I'm now to the part where it asks if I want to begin with the windows install. I've got the Wndows install disk in and click continue. A few seconds later, the computer restarts and a white screen is shown. This screen well stay up for maybe 5-7 minutes at which time the computer will again restart and the white screen returns. This process will continue over and over again every 5-7 minutes or so.

At this point, all I have figured out is to turn it off and hold option while turning it back on. This will present me with the option of choosing Macintosh HD to boot from. That is the only option. The computer boots fine once I click that option.

I've tried loading windows from two different XP SP2 disks and one XP SP3 disk. All give me the same result.

Any ideas? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Looks like you have the White Screen of Death. Try resetting the PRAM:
Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

And if that doesn't work you will have to re-install the OS. If you were running Snow Leopard you might get your files back if you didn't back up.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Mr mufakka

Well, the computer works. It'll just get stuck when I try and install windows. Leopard works great. It's only when I run the boot camp install process.

In other words, it stick a during the install but once I restart it, it's fine. Just no windows.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I've tried loading windows from two different XP SP2 disks and one XP SP3 disk. All give me the same result.
What kind of disks? OEM disks or branded disks will not work, nor will an upgrade version nor a recovery disk. XP must be at least a SP2 (or SP3) full install version, either an OEM system builders, or a MS boxed copy of the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr mufakka

However I will try and do that reset to see if that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr mufakka

I've reset the PRAM. It still sticks on install.

Two disks are branded recovery disks (both are SP2). The other is a full install version (SP3).

Also, one other think to note? My internal DVD drive is not working in the Mac. I'm doing the install through and external DVD drive. No clue if that matters or not. The drive functions fine for all other operations. The "windows_SP3" disk is currently on my OSX desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr mufakka

Ok. So apparently the external dvd IS the problem. Windows XP apparently won't boot from an external drive.

So, any other options or just wait for my new internal DVD drive to be delivered? It's not possible to copy the install CD to the "bootcamp" partition and install it from there, is it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New with Parallels?!?!?! | Windoze 7 or xp pro? »