New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Essential apps for Win 7?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I've been out of the Windows loop for YEARS now, and only do the occasional fix here and there for family or friends whom own Windows machines. Just the other day though, a friend of mine bought a new Toshiba laptop which is running Win7.

She already bought MS Office and I've set up Thunderbird for her, as well as recommended Chrome and FF vs. IE. But aside from these very basic things, I thought it would be nice to brief her on how to keep a tidy and safe machine which would last her the course of her HD.

Of course I'll be talking to her about the logical things one should and shouldn't do on and off line, but I'll also need to back some things up with apps that compliment this logic. That said, I'm asking the Windows users here (I know that a lot of the senior OS X users still have to use Windows at or for work) what they think are the most up to date, useful products that a simpleton would be able to understand. Would like them to be easy on resources as well.

First and foremost, security. I'm thinking MS Security Essentials should be good enough since she's not going to be browsing any warez sites and such.

Are things like Adaware and Spybot still relevant and useful?

What else should I suggest that she use for general computer usage? All I can remember back from my Win days is having to run stupid spyware and adware software all the time, as well as running defrag tools or registry cleaners... Uuuccch.

Any good free defrag programs ? I used to use Diskeeper and liked it well enough. Wow, thinking back on all the time wasted with that stuff, it's amazing !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

MSE is good, as well as Malwarebytes for any Malware.
CCleaner is a very good defrag program.
Maybe HWMonitor to monitor temperatures (just in case).

This might help a bit

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (the free version) is good as a *reactive* anti-spyware solution. For proactive anti-malware, I recommend MSE as you said. It's not as comprehensive as some suites, but then, it's also not nearly as intrusive, nor is it a resource hog.

Adaware is basically useless and I only use Spybot as a secondary scan for malware. MWB is very comprehensive and is about the only product that can remove the most complex malware (it's major specialty is the rogue "anti-virus" extortionware).

Windows 7 actually handles defrag chores on its own for the most part, you shouldn't need to run a manual defrag (providing that you keep plenty of free space, much like with OS X).

When I setup a new machine, I typically install FoxIt PDF Reader as a lightweight alternative to Adobe Reader.

I also manually set VM size to 1.5 x physical memory and make the min and max the same, so that you don't get constant resizing of the swap file (which introduces fragmentation).

And finally, I like to install CCleaner for clearing caches and registry cleaning. That's about it off the top of my head.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Great. I really appreciate the updates fellas. I only wish I was able to set up her VM/Paging file in person. Guess we could do it via Skype though.

Thanks!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Great. I really appreciate the updates fellas. I only wish I was able to set up her VM/Paging file in person. Guess we could do it via Skype though.

Thanks!

Doug
Check out Logmein.com if you're going to be doing remote support. The free version works great and you can just add her machine to your library and easily get into it whenever you need to.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post

Thanks!

Doug
Or with Teamviewer, but Skype is probably easier.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Itunes | hd replacement with vmware partition »