New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Mac OS extension Single partition Hard disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

artzon

artzon is on a distinguished road

I am new user for few months on Mac. I execute the Boot camp under the latest Snow Leopard OS, 10.5 above. I encountered this issue when I run Boot Camp.

The error message is : "Single partition required - Mac OS extended (Jounaled) ..."

Please tell me how I can solve this.

Option 1 : reformat the whole Mac OS in one disk ? How do I do it in Mac OS ?

Option 2 : use Disk utility to partition the hard disk into 1. Will this erase my Mac data files ?

Is there other ways of partitioning it into 1 hard disk?

regards
Art
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Your hard drive is fragmented. Which means that Boot Camp can not create a contiguous partition with enough space without moving files that can not be moved.

The solution: Make a backup of your hard drive with Time Machine. Boot your machine with the original install DVD, use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive and then reinstall OS X. During the process, use your Time Machine backup to restore. Nothing will be lost and your problem will be solved.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Another option would be to use a program to defragment your disk and see if that frees up enough contiguous space. IDefrag is the one recommended by most on this forum. Coriolis Systems :: Products :: iDefrag

However, it is not free. Either way, assume this will be a time-consuming task. Defragging a drive is best done overnight, for example.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new to mac!!! | Classic Help »