Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Question Refit issues with boot camp using windows 7
    Upon installign refit and trying to boot into windows 7 i found that it stayed on a command prompt and didnt boot up i uninstalled refit and i could only access macosx upon boot up so i reinstalled refit and now im back where i was i will also add that i use that windows 7 partition with VMWare Fusion and help please?

  2. #2

    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Hold Option when booting to choose where you want to boot (Mac OS X or W7)
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
    Hold Option when booting to choose where you want to boot (Mac OS X or W7)
    I know how to do that im saying that when i booted up after uninstalling refit osx was the only bootable option and now when i hold option refit is the only bootable option then im right back where i started

  4. #4

    s2odin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Posts
    836
    Specs:
    C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    Why do you need refit? Are you triple or quad booting?
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

  5. #5

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,270
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
    Why do you need refit? Are you triple or quad booting?
    When installed properly, rEFIt makes for a very nice boot menu eliminating the need to press the OPTION key or keep changing settings. It's very configurable, however, it's not something that IMO a novice should attempt to install.

    To the OP: Make sure that you have read the documentation for rEFIt on their web site. Specifically, take a look at the "refit.conf" file located in MacIntosh HD/efi/refit/

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    When installed properly, rEFIt makes for a very nice boot menu eliminating the need to press the OPTION key or keep changing settings. It's very configurable, however, it's not something that IMO a novice should attempt to install.

    To the OP: Make sure that you have read the documentation for rEFIt on their web site. Specifically, take a look at the "refit.conf" file located in MacIntosh HD/efi/refit/
    Id consider myself intermediate im good with computers but just havent fooled around with this stuff much, I was trying to boot to both xp and 7 thats why i used refit then this issue occoured and now i am here with only the ability to boot to osx

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2010
    Posts
    38
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8GBS RAM - 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPMs -
    I'm new to he whole Mac experience, but I'm skilled enough to work my way through things. I also downloaded rEFIt for quad-booting (atm the moment its only a dual boot...). What i did for it to show up upon boot up was drag the rEFIt file to the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop. It worked for me.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Dec 08, 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I'm new to he whole Mac experience, but I'm skilled enough to work my way through things. I also downloaded rEFIt for quad-booting (atm the moment its only a dual boot...). What i did for it to show up upon boot up was drag the rEFIt file to the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop. It worked for me.
    Upon transferring the refit folder to the OsxHd on my desktop it removed a crucial component and i was once again back to the only bootable disk being osx i worry that refit has destroyed some file that allowed osx to read the boot camp partition and thus boot from it my question now is how do i restore those files? but thanks for your suggestion

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2010
    Posts
    38
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8GBS RAM - 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPMs -
    oh man, really sorry. I wonder why that happened though because it works well for me.

    ...now the issue of fixing everything. i'm worried i might screw something else up for you >_< but seeing as rEFIt is just a menu (i think) i'm pretty sure it doesn't have the power to delete files. I'd say to remove it from the Mac HD icon, but im sure you tried that already. Sorry again

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Refit Boot camp issues booting up
    By wroachbarrette in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 03:46 PM
  2. Windows XP boot camp issues
    By Human Flotsam in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 01:45 PM
  3. Windows via Boot Camp issues
    By nickbalti in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 02:56 PM
  4. Boot-camp/windows issues
    By Jesmo in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM
  5. Boot Camp Issues (Using Windows XP SP2)
    By xHellRaverx in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •