New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Help with my iMac g3 installing OS 9!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlueTropix00

BlueTropix00 is on a distinguished road

Can anybody please help me with my iMac g3? I had the folder with the question mark problem occur so I bought mac os 9.1 full install CD and am trying to install it, and nothing happens when I press 'c' or 'cmd-option-shift-delete', etc.

What should I do next?

Thank you for any and all your help!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueTropix00

Can anybody please help me with my iMac g3? I had the folder with the question mark problem occur so I bought mac os 9.1 full install CD and am trying to install it, and nothing happens when I press 'c' or 'cmd-option-shift-delete', etc.

What should I do next?

Thank you for any and all your help!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

With the iMac running, pop the CD in, then hit restart an d immediately after the chime, then hold down 'C'.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueTropix00

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
With the iMac running, pop the CD in, then hit restart an d immediately after the chime, then hold down 'C'.
Hi Harry, thanks for the suggestion but I cannot hit a restart button because my iMac has virtually no software on it to click on 'restart'. Do you mean press the on/off button? I have done this too, and no success. Do you or any of you users have any suggestions? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Yep he means the on button

Also see this article

Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Installing a Mac OS 9 System Folder to use with the Classic environment

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
BlueTropix00

OK, I did what harry said with the restart button and nothing happened.

Does anybody see this whole process as a lost cause?
I'm starting to believe that I'm wasting hours of time and lots of $ on fixing a machine that could have a fundamental problem of a broken hard drive meanwhile I am troubleshooting around the real problem.
Is there any way to find out if the hard drive is broken??
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you are pressing the on.off button with the disc in the optical drive, hold down 'C' immediately after the chime and it should open up the Installer page where you can go into Utilities and erase and format the drive. If this is not working sounds like the optical drive has failed and it is not worth spending any money on a G3 as really they are like the dinosaur age.

Also it is a tough job replacing the optical and hard drives.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueTropix00

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
If you are pressing the on.off button with the disc in the optical drive, hold down 'C' immediately after the chime and it should open up the Installer page where you can go into Utilities and erase and format the drive. If this is not working sounds like the optical drive has failed and it is not worth spending any money on a G3 as really they are like the dinosaur age.

Also it is a tough job replacing the optical and hard drives.
That's too bad...I have never owned a Mac before and this computer brought back fond memories of using friends' iMacs. Too bad. When I Press C after rebooting, nothing happens, just the question mark/mac face. when I press option upon startup, a blue screen with a circular arrow on the left and an arrow pointing right ---> appear. The arrow pointing right --> does nothing and the circular arrow causes the computer to seem as if it were starting to spin the CD around as if it were about to load something, but nothing changes on the monitor and the sound eventually stops with the screen still blue with the two arrows. Any ideas? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

What color is this OS 9 Disc. It should be white with an orange 9 on it. Or its an iMac install disc its solid orange with white.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« solving a dual boot monitor problem | Installed Windows XP via bootcamp, can't get internet to work while running Windows. »