New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Best way to remove Parallels?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi Guys and Guyesses,
I'm fairly new to Macs having switched just a few weeks ago.
One of the first things that I did was install Parallels 6.0 and Windows XP. I regret doing it for 2 reasons. Firstly, the real reason for installing it was so that I could run a particular Windows programme which I couldn't find a substitute for that worked on a Mac. I have now found it. Secondly, my kosher XP disc is from before any of the SP updates came out and now, having installed Parallels and my XP disc, I keep getting told that updates are ready to download and install. These updates are SP2 which installs just so far and then spits its dummy out and refuses to continue. Because of this failure to upgrade to SP2, I don't hold out much chance for SP3. Because of that, I don't think that my XP installation is going to be all that dependable and trustworthy.
That being so, I would like to totally get rid of the few programmes that I added to the Windows section, progs such as Irfanview, Photoshop, etc, etc before getting rid of the Windows XP installation and the Parallels software altogether. Only snag is that I don't know the best way to go about it to make sure that every scrap of evidence that they ever existed is removed.

Any help and assistance to do that would be very much appreciated.
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

By the way, i HAVE done searches on this forum, and others, but I can't see any old threads that tell how to totally remove Windows and Parallels.
For example, if I go into my APPS and drag the Parallels folder to the trash bin in the dock, will that do the trick?
Or should I open the Windows XP prog and manually delete all the progs that I installed there first, THEN delete Windows (I don't yet know how I would go about doing that) and only THEN drag Parallels to the trash.
I have no CD and no .dmg file from the demo download 'cos I deleted it as soon as the install of Parallels was confirmed.

Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Parallels comes with an uninstaller and you'll need to use that since the installer scatters files across the filesystem. Download the demo and use the uninstaller in there.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Thank you. I'll try that now.

QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Well, I downloaded a new demo version but I didn't actually install it.
Part of the downloaded package was the uninstall part which, when I ran it, uninstalled both lots of Parallels. The newly downloaded version AND the version that was up and running. To be on the safe side, before running the uninstaller, I moved it to a separate location, just in case running the uninstaller only removed the newly downloaded version but when I ran that for the second time it reported that Parallels was not installed on this computer.
Nice one.
Thanks for the tip.
Steve

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gimp/X11 crashes iMac with OS 10.5.8 | Windows 7 Home Premium - changing from 32-bit to 64-bit. Help!! »