New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

PC cannot read my Mac files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GiselaP

GiselaP is on a distinguished road

I need to copy my files from my iMac via my hard drive (compatible with PC and Mac) onto a PC laptop (Windows 7). The PC laptop says it cannot open the files.

What is the trick how to convert the files easily? Do I need to install a special program on the PC?

On my iMac I also run VMware Fusion. When I drag a file from the Mac side onto the Windows side (Windows 7) and then try to copy it via the hard drive to the PC it still does not work.

Thanks for your advice! I have to get this to work within 4 days as I will travel then and need to use it for business.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome aboard Mac-Forums

What kind of files are you talking about?

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
GiselaP

GiselaP is on a distinguished road

Just normal files like .doc, .xls, .pdf.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

When you say that Windows can not open them, are you saying that Office can not read these files or that Windows does not recognize the external hard drive? Office should have no problem reading those files.

You say that the HD is compatible with OS X and Windows. That may be the case (all HDs are compatible with both) but they need to be properly formatted to work across OSes. How is the external formatted (right-click > Get Info > Format)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want Max mini running Windows XP to output sound on a TV through a HDMI cable. | Windows 7 without Bootcamp or Parallels? »