New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Do I need a CD to install?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TranquilEclipse

TranquilEclipse is on a distinguished road

I am a student at DeVry, and thus have access to a free downloaded version of Windows 7.

I'm curious though, will I be able to install it without the use of a CD?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Free version? Does that include a license key as well to do the installation? If you wanted to install it using Boot Camp (dual-boot), then you'll need to create a CD to do the installation. If you want to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine then the ISO (presuming it's an ISO) would work fine..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The DeVry server download will be in the form of an executable or *.ISO. If it's the executable, you'll need a Win machine to run the program which will create the *.ISO for you or the disks themselves.

If you wind up with the *.ISO, it will have to be burned to a DVD in order to give you a copy of the installation media. Normally the university downloads consist of both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions - so it's up to you to choose which to install.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Its most likely a 120 day evaluation version.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Its most likely a 120 day evaluation version.
I don't think so. Most universities and colleges have a multiple educational license they purchase direct from MS. Similar to the corporate licensed versions. That allows for students to download a full working PID as long as they are students there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I've got a headache from thinking about AV software. | desperate attempt to solve a software problem, please help »