New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Boot Camp Redoing Windows XP Setup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TommyBNSF

TommyBNSF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro 13" 4 GB RAM, 250 GB 5400RPM HD, Nvidia GeForce 320M

Hi guys

When I try to install Windows XP through Boot Camp, I go through the Windows Setup and select the partition and all that. After it installs, it tells me that it will restart to continue setup. After it restarts, it goes right back to the windows setup and asks me to select partition and all that again. Anyone explain why it does this?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

1. Did you format the partition as NTFS?
2. When you say 'it installs' do you ever see the windows desktop?
3. Are you using a legit, full retail or system builders(OEM) disc?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBNSF View Post
Hi guys

When I try to install Windows XP through Boot Camp, I go through the Windows Setup and select the partition and all that. After it installs, it tells me that it will restart to continue setup. After it restarts, it goes right back to the windows setup and asks me to select partition and all that again. Anyone explain why it does this?
(Common mistake) That's because you're pressing the "any key" to boot from CD. Do not allow Windows XP to boot from the CD - just leave it alone and it will boot normally and continue with the setup.
QUOTE Thanks
TommyBNSF

TommyBNSF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro 13" 4 GB RAM, 250 GB 5400RPM HD, Nvidia GeForce 320M

OK now I got another problem. Now it seems something is wrong with the CD because it say hidusb.sys is corrupted. Not only that, but now even if I delete the Windows partition, it still tries to boot into the Windows Setup screen. I have to keep pressing "alt option" to go into Macintosh HD. How can I just get rid of the Windows setup so I don't have to keep pressing alt every time I start up?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Go into settings in OSX. Go to startup disk and choose your mac HD
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« windows on a mac with vmware ?? | Want Max mini running Windows XP to output sound on a TV through a HDMI cable. »