New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

I'm confused about installing XP on my Mac Mini.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi guys,
I have been thinking about installing a method to run Windows programmes on my new Mac Mini. I have been thinking about it ever since I got my G4 Mac Mini and discovered that it would be difficult.
I have read the stickies on the subject but couldn't find the answer to my questions and I have also tried Google with just as much success so I now have to ask the experts.
I would like to be able to switch from Mac to Windows without having to re-boot and I would also like to drag/drop files and images from one to the other. So the method of having Windows on my Mac depends on being able to do those things. Plus .....

1 ... Can I use my basic Windows XP disk and then add SP2 and SP3? (I have SP2 & SP3 on disc)
2 ... Can I add Windows by installing one of the VM programmes to a permanently connected external USB 2.0 hard disc and then installing XP to that same external HDD?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Yes, the functions you describe are the primary advantages to running Windows through virtualization (i.e. running both operating systems simultaneously and being able to trade data back and forth via drag-and-drop).

As to your numbered questions...

1) Assuming that's a retail version that is not currently installed on another machine, then yes. If it's a "restore disc" it may be problematic, and of course with product activation, you can only have it installed on one machine at a time.

2) Yes, the virtualization product should allow you to pick where you want the virtual disk file stored.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Thanks for the positive info. It was just what I wanted to hear.
I'll give it a go and report back later (after I buy the software)

Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

There has been a hiccup in my plans.
It seems that Parallels can only be installed on the Hard drive that contains the Mac OS X and NOT on an external drive.
Still, c'est la vie as they say in Germany.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
There has been a hiccup in my plans.
It seems that Parallels can only be installed on the Hard drive that contains the Mac OS X and NOT on an external drive.
Still, c'est la vie as they say in Germany.
Yes, the application itself needs to be installed on the System drive. BUT, you can choose where you want to store the actual virtual HDD file, which will contain the guest's operating system and it's associated apps/docs/settings, etc (and that's where the space gets eaten up). At least that's the case with VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox - I haven't touched Parallels since version 3.0, so I can't speak to that.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ubuntu Upgrade Issues | Old School Mac Game »