New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Ubuntu Upgrade Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

So I'm running Virtual Box on my MacBook. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 in the virtual machine and it ran fine. After running a series of updates and two failed upgrades to Ubuntu 10.04, the OS essentially killed itself. After the last failed upgrade attempt, the OS restarted in the virtual machine and upon trying to reboot, it said there was no mountable disk drive. Is there any way to fix this (aside from simply deleting the virtual machine and starting over again)?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try creating a new virtual machine, but point it to the existing Ubuntu installation.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You say there is no mountable disk drive. Is this a VB error or an Ubuntu error? If it was an Ubuntu error, can you be more specific with the error message?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You say there is no mountable disk drive. Is this a VB error or an Ubuntu error? If it was an Ubuntu error, can you be more specific with the error message?
If I remember correctly, it said "Failed to find /dev!" or close to that. I deleted the .vdi after that and the VM itself and started over again. This time Ubuntu upgraded without problems, though on occasion VB will suddenly abort it for some reason…beyond that, it runs like it should.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

That was very much an Ubuntu error. No dev folder means no device files which means nothing will work. It's possible that it could have been fixed but all is well I suppose.

What error does VB give when it aborts? It's rock solid here with Ubuntu 10.10.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
That was very much an Ubuntu error. No dev folder means no device files which means nothing will work. It's possible that it could have been fixed but all is well I suppose.

What error does VB give when it aborts? It's rock solid here with Ubuntu 10.10.
It doesn't give any sort of error. It just says "aborted". Is there a way to find out what error codes came up?

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Check the log for the VM: ~/Library/VirtualBox/Machines/<vm>/Logs (that's the Library folder in your home directory).

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
"DESTROYED" to "TERMINATED"
Could that mean something?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« If I use bootcamp to run Windows 7. | I'm confused about installing XP on my Mac Mini. »