New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Help with unresponsive iMac after attempt to duel boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dkdude36

Dkdude36 is on a distinguished road

I might be in a situation here, and I am asking for the help of those smarter than me. I am on the iMac g10 (I think) with the newest snow leapord.

So I am trying to duel boot ubuntu, but while I'm trying to create a partition, my disc utility says it can't verify the disc and to run the osx install cd. So I put the cd in and hit the utilities buton, and accept the reboot. I guess this changed my boot order to cd first or something because now I cant boot osx.

The disc is like stuck making dj noises, back and forth back and forth, and the little apple with the spinner under it just sits there. I have waited like 10 minutes and nothing has happened. I have tried holding d, mouse, and c, but nothing works. Please help save my only computer.

I really need help here. I don't want to have ot take my computer in for repairs. Thanks for reading

Dk
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Watch this video on You Tube. Once you get the disk out, reset the PRAM/NVRAM. Hopefully, you haven't messed up your OS X boot sector by trying to dual boot Ubuntu.
QUOTE Thanks
Dkdude36

hey mac fans. 2nd post in 2 days. so, i am trying to install ubuntu on my mac. i have partitioned my drive with about 200 gigs of free space. i have the newer imac. so i insert the cd, and boot into it, but when i hit install, the screen goes black, and the dvd starts choking. i wait like 5 minutes, then i power down. i simply cant get past that first live cd menu. can anybody help me?

sorry for being a noob at duel booting. i am acutally pretty good with android hacks, but this mac stuff is a whole new world to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I, personally, run Linux through VirtualBox on my 27" iMac. I make a VM with 2G of memory and give it 4 processors and Linux runs quite nice in there..

Unless there is a SPECIFIC reason you are trying to dual-boot OS X and Linux..this might be a viable option for you..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Please do not start another thread. Post back to the same thread to avoid multiple answers and forum clutter.

And by the way..... DUEL = Settling a dispute between two people with weapons.

DUAL = Consisting of two parts.
QUOTE Thanks
Dkdude36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Please do not start another thread. Post back to the same thread to avoid multiple answers and forum clutter.

And by the way..... DUEL = Settling a dispute between two people with weapons.

DUAL = Consisting of two parts.
hah sorry for spelling dual wrong. anyways, i started a 2nd thread because it seemed totally unrelated. i fixed the problem (somehow) but i still cant dual boot. i made a large free space partition, and boot from disk. i choose install ubuntu, but then i just get a black screen and here the disk whirrring for like 5 minutes. then i shut down and try again. still fails. please help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Front USB ports not functioning. | Macbook Air: Parallels or VMFusion »