New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Need help recovering files from dead WinXP computer's HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

My sister's desktop has just quit working, probably the power supply, but I don't want to buy a new one only to find out it is something else. She just wants to get her files off of it (pictures and stuff).

What's the best way to do this? I heard WinXP can run from a USB drive, so I was thinking of buying an enclosure and running it through Bootcamp, but it's totally different hard, so I don't know if that will work. Could I just do the same thing, but pull the files off within OSX by browsing the drive?

Any other options or ideas would be appreciated.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

I would get a HDD enclosure to USB and take all the files off onto another computer. You can usually pick one up off ebay for like 5 ($10) ish

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It may be easier and less expensive to replace the PS. Power supplies for most desktop PC computers are inexpensive and easy to change out. The exception is if she owns a Dell, Compaq, HP, or some other brand that uses proprietary components.

You can not use the hard drive with XP on it via USB in Boot Camp as it will not work. Using an external carrier as Buzzard suggests should work to remove the files from it.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Since I'm not even sure if it's the PS, mobo, or something else, I think I'll just go with an enclosure for recovery. I just wasn't sure if simply sticking the computer's HDD in an enclosure and plugging it in would allow me to view/copy it's files from my Mac.

I wonder if I could even crack open and temporarily swap out the HDD in my Western Digital external drive. Then I wouldn't have to buy anything.

Thanks for the help!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yeah you could that, but of course that voids the WD warranty.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows 7 x64 Driver Queries | Newbie needs help with antivirus software... »