New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Partitioning problems...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Storky1980

Storky1980 is on a distinguished road

I am having difficulties making the partition on my hard drive with the bootcamp assistant.
I keep getting an error message saying i need to format it as a "Single Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
However looking at the "get info" on my mac HD it seems that it already is.
Anybody got any suggestions or solutions? i bet its staring me in the face but i cant see it.

Anyway, screenshot attatched if it explains what i am trying to say better.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-11-14 at 23.39.06.png (932.6 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

It seems that some of the system files are in the way of you being able to partition the drive, try making the partition smaller in small steps i.e try 65gb then 60 gb then 55gb etc etc

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

That error is telling you that there is not enough free contiguous space on the drive in order to create a BC partition. You basically have two choices:

1. Reinstall OS X and use Time Machine to restore.

2. Purchase a third party utility - iDefrag which will consolidate your free space.
QUOTE Thanks
Storky1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That error is telling you that there is not enough free contiguous space on the drive in order to create a BC partition. You basically have two choices:

1. Reinstall OS X and use Time Machine to restore.

2. Purchase a third party utility - iDefrag which will consolidate your free space.
I will have to sound a bit thrifty here, but since it will cost me money, could you put on estimation on likely % of idefrag solving my woes?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If $29.95 is too much to pay, then use suggestion 1 instead. All I can tell you about iDefrag is that others in this forum have used it with success. Like anything else, your mileage may vary....
QUOTE Thanks
Storky1980

Yeah, its not so much the cost, just the likelihood of success for the cost.

The problem with 1. is my Snow Leopard disk is on another continent at the moment, would it work if i backed up with time machine right now (running SL), then installed the standard Leopard disk then used my SL back up on time machine?
Probably being a bit unrealistic now.
QUOTE Thanks
SammySlim

SammySlim is a jewel in the roughSammySlim is a jewel in the rough

Not as likely to work because some of the file images may go along with the backup. But it won't do any harm, either. Probably worth a try. As to the likelihood of success, I think most people (90% or more if memory serves) find iDefrag to solve the problem. One other point - depending on the size of your drive, defragmentation can take several hours - best to run it overnight. And you should back up with Time Machine first in any case.

I think its probably worth the $30 - but its up to you. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Storky1980

Thanks for the info then, i shall try idefrag tonight and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.
QUOTE Thanks
Storky1980

So after buying idfrag, running it successfully and having my macbook defragmented.... It seems my problems still persist. Still getting the message telling me to format my drive as a "Single Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
Yet when i go to disk utility the option to format the disk is not available!!!!
This is driving me mad.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky1980 View Post
Yeah, its not so much the cost, just the likelihood of success for the cost.

The problem with 1. is my Snow Leopard disk is on another continent at the moment, would it work if i backed up with time machine right now (running SL), then installed the standard Leopard disk then used my SL back up on time machine?
Probably being a bit unrealistic now.
I would say no, you could not do this. Could be wrong, but I sure wouldn't try it without reading of others being successful at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky1980 View Post
So after buying idfrag, running it successfully and having my macbook defragmented.... It seems my problems still persist. Still getting the message telling me to format my drive as a "Single Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
Yet when i go to disk utility the option to format the disk is not available!!!!
This is driving me mad.
iDefrag will do what you need to have done. You will need to use the Full Defrag option. Try running it again when you go to bed - as it is going to re-boot your machine into iDefrag and will be unusable for a few hours. It should look something like this when done - you'll notice - no data at the end of the drive.

If it leaves some stuff at the end of the drive before you re-boot back into the OS, don't worry about it - it is typically some cache files that are deleted on boot.

You can't format a disk that you're currently booted into. This would have to be done by booting up with the OS X disk. And you do realize a format will erase the disk.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel based MacBook Driver for Windows XP | iMac 27" with Win 7 & S. Leo »