New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Windows 7 on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ciwan

Ciwan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard

Hi Guys

Are there any dangers to installing Windows 7 on an iMac ?

What I mean is stuff like:

1) Issues that might corrupt OS X Snow Leopard ? (from tiny ones to huge ones)
2) Windows 7 issues ? again tiny and large ?
3) How hard is it ? is there a clear tutorial ?

Thank You.

"Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

It depends on how you want to do it.
I run it via Parallels, and it's fine, but you do still need anti-virus and spyware/malware. I use Microsoft's own.
It runs pretty swiftly even on my lowish spec iMac, as long as I don't have tons of Mac stuff going.
There are other ways - botcamp etc. but I can't comment on their effectiveness.
The thing I like most in Parallels is cohesive mode, which makes Windows run like Mac OS.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Thanks for that Kevriano ! though I must admit most of what you said was way over my head ! lol

What do you mean by:

Quote:
It depends on how you want to do it.
Why ? How many ways are there of doing it ?

Quote:
I run it via Parallels
OK so Parallels is one of the way of doing this ... How does it work ? What is " Running it Via Parallels " ??

Also what does Cohesive Mode mean ? or do ?

Sorry a n00b here.

Thanks

"Animals, whom we have made our slaves, we do not like to consider our equal." .... Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ok, Bootcamp I believe requires you to create a Windows partition on your HD, where Parallels, runs it like it was software in a folder, which is different.
Bootcamp means you actually boot fully into Windows, and not have access to your Mac partition, Parallels allows you to swap between the 2, and drag files from desktop to desktop for example.
There are free virtual machine programs (which is what Parallels is basically).
I'm sure others will say what they do, but this is my favored way as I said.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

ohh ok !!

So which is better ?

1) Run Windows from a Folder while in a Mac ?
2) Create a separate partition on the HDD for Windows ?

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Over to others, either way works well, Parallels (or similar) seems less hassle to me.

QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

I mean if there are no disadvantages to using Parallels .. then I'm with you ! it is less hassle !

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Personally favour BootCamp, however whichever way you do go download and install Microsoft Security Essentials on to the Windows partition. It is a free, light and easy to update utility.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Is there a reason why you prefer BootCamp ?

Also > none of you have mentioned issues ? lol are you telling me it will all go super smooth without a single error the the iMac or the Windows 7 ? < Sounds to good to be true !

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I'm not a Win user at all, but have followed installations here on Mac Forums.
The only issue I've known of is:
1. People don't follow the installation guides properly and run into problems.
2. Tied into problem 1, which is not installing the driver updates as required as part of the installation.

I am certain that if you were to run into any problems with the installation (which I doubt), that you will get the solutions here.

Main thing is to backup before you start, and read the instructions properly.
If using BootCamp assistant, print out the guide that it gives you and follow it to the letter.
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Cool Thanks 6String.

By the way did I mention I have a PC in my Bedroom on Windows 7 ? lol

It is just that I love the colours on the iMac soo much. No Windows screen can ever match that clarity of colour that the Macs have.

But I don't know whether I should bother just for colour !

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

This article is a bit dated, but will give you the gist of it.
http://www.crn.com/reviews/applicati...8gw**.ecappj02
QUOTE Thanks
Ciwan

Thanks 6String.

I think (IF I go ahead) I'll go with BootCamp too.

Reason: Created by Apple.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

That'd be the way I'd go if I were to ever touch Win again
Worst comes to worst, you can always use bootcamp assistant again to remove it and be back where you started.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Installing Windows 7 via bootcamp is pretty straightforward.
Just a couple of things to watch out for:
1. Go here and follow the instructions. These are drivers for the video card in your model of iMac that, if missing, can cause a black screen installing Windows.
2. get hold of a genuine retail version of Windows 7, put it in your drive
3. Run the bootcamp assitant, let it partition your drive and restart your mac to start the windows install (you should have a USB drive connected at this point from step 1)
4. Let the windows install run through. The only thing to watch out for is that you format the bootcamp partition when prompted to select where Windows is installed.
5. Once Windows has installed pop your Snow Leopard disc (that came with your iMac) into your drive and let it install the bootcamp drivers.
6. Now run the Apple software updater.
7. Install some Anti-virus (Microsift Security Essentials or other preference)
8. Run the Windows Update tool.
9. That's it........

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport and GFX card | Backups???? Snow leopard / Parallels 5 / W7 »