New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac Discussion of Classic or running Windows, Linux and other OSes on the Mac.

Where has my beloved Command - Tilde in Word gone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oceansblue

oceansblue is on a distinguished road

Morning all,

Used to be a time (like a few weeks ago) when I could happily switch between the multiple documents open in Word by using Command-Tilde (also known as the key residing between the esc and tab keys.)

Then I apparently did a software upgrade and Microsoft in their infinite wisdom changed this function because they love to change stuff for the sake of changing it, and now I have no idea whether that function still exists, if it does but its a new command combination what command combination it is or whether I will ever have this function again (sob!).

Anyone know anything about this?

many thanks (and if I am in the wrong forum my apologies and please redirect, first time posting here)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I updated Office last night and this key combo still works for me. Does it work in other applications? If not, go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard & Text Input. Is "Move focus to next window in application" checked and set to Command+`?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
oceansblue

oceansblue is on a distinguished road

Hey VanSmith -

Was just typing a reply to my own post when I got your reply. I am running Word 12.2.7 and the command had apparently changed to Command or Control + F6 - which in no way worked.

I reassigned it back to Command-Tilde (under tools>customize keyboard> window and help>next window) and all is again right and good in my world!

Many thanks for your prompt reply!
QUOTE Thanks
Hartznugz

Hartznugz is on a distinguished road

MBP decided to do same - now re-established thanks to simple instructions. Great support people, thankseverso!
QUOTE Thanks
hunt2020

hunt2020 is on a distinguished road

This seems to be a recurring problem for me. (Mac Lion, 10.7.3, MS Word 2011, Mac 14.1.4). The only thing that seems to reset it is to follow the steps above, even if "Move focus to next window in application" IS checked, I still need to open up the keyboard prefs, then close Word, and reopen it. Then it works again. Just an FYI in case others are having the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
scrouge

scrouge is on a distinguished road

I ran into this thread trying to fix the same problem. Somehow magically command + ` stopped working for me in Word, it was still functional in other apps.

I just quit Word and as per the earlier post, went to System Preferences (i.e. the apple icon) > Keyboard > Keyboard shortcuts>Keyboard and Text Input. then unchecked the option for 'move focus for next window in application' and re-checked it.

Restarted word and it was functioning like usual!

hope you find this useful!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No Sound On My Mac Running Windows 7 32bit | Windows 7 installation loop on MBP OS X Lion »